Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

The car is struggling for traction. Bad.

I think our monkey seat is a little higher than others maybe. Maybe. Hard to tell.

Top cooling outlet has made an apperance.

today

yesterday

banibhusan

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99021

This article talks about the reasons behind Ferrari's fastest pitstops, i.e. encased wheel nut in rim, improved air gun, shorter wheel nut rotation, and improved lighting system.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Front suspension detail

5 element FW

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

amouzouris wrote:
Lycoming wrote:wonder why they did that... the higher it is, the less it drives the diffuser and the less downforce both it and the rear wing make as their high and low pressure zones mix and dilute each other...

Perhaps this puts it in cleaner air, but I can't think of how that would be more beneficial than driving the diffuser.
they don't really dilute each other..the high pressure flow of the monkey seat and the low pressure flow of the rear wing will never meet...they are too far away...the flow can only have an effect on the surface it is attached to...
They don't meet, but even the beam wing reduces the efficiency of both wings by a not insignificant amount.

amouzouris

Lycoming wrote:
amouzouris wrote: they don't really dilute each other..the high pressure flow of the monkey seat and the low pressure flow of the rear wing will never meet...they are too far away...the flow can only have an effect on the surface it is attached to...
They don't meet, but even the beam wing reduces the efficiency of both wings by a not insignificant amount.
If it wasn't beneficial though they wouldn't be running it.....and i remember pre-2009 when teams were running elements on top of the other on the rear wing

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

amouzouris wrote:
Lycoming wrote:
amouzouris wrote: they don't really dilute each other..the high pressure flow of the monkey seat and the low pressure flow of the rear wing will never meet...they are too far away...the flow can only have an effect on the surface it is attached to...
If it wasn't beneficial though they wouldn't be running it.....and i remember pre-2009 when teams were running elements on top of the other on the rear wing
Well yes the addition of a small wing outweighs the losses in RW and diffuser efficiencies.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

amouzouris

the diffuser can actually work more efficiently...its the rear wing that has the small negative effect...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

amouzouris wrote:the diffuser can actually work more efficiently...its the rear wing that has the small negative effect...
Depends really, if it was behind them it would probably help both, but right now it's incrasing pressure below the RW and decreasing it above the diffuser. That's what I'd imagine if we talk simply in pressure deltas.

amouzouris

Owen.C93 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:the diffuser can actually work more efficiently...its the rear wing that has the small negative effect...
Depends really, if it was behind them it would probably help both, but right now it's incrasing pressure below the RW and decreasing it above the diffuser. That's what I'd imagine if we talk simply in pressure deltas.
its too far away to make any real difference.....its the same logic when stalling a wing...there is low pressure flow below the wing but because it is not attached to it it doesnt produce much downforce...only very very little

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Lycoming
Lycoming

Well thats interesting. I wonder how it helps the rear wing... if thats correct it may explain why it seems to be mounted so high.

MIKEY_!

Maybe (and that's a big maybe) it helps keep flow attached to the centre of the rear wing by increasing pressure in that area. Mclaren had a wing support which was supposed to do something similar in 2008 IIRC.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

MIKEY_! wrote:Maybe (and that's a big maybe) it helps keep flow attached to the centre of the rear wing by increasing pressure in that area. Mclaren had a wing support which was supposed to do something similar in 2008 IIRC.
I thought about that but I think that they would have less separation issues in the middle of the wing.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Lycoming wrote:Well thats interesting. I wonder how it helps the rear wing... if thats correct it may explain why it seems to be mounted so high.
I don't think it's mounted any higher than any other team. IMHO