Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F2012

Towards the end it was good, but I am pretty sure that after the first winter test they were scratching their heads asking themselves what the f**k they have built. They were far off with the idea for the exhausts too and that was pretty worrying for me to begin with.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

infy
infy

It never really had good race pace towards the end of the season. In the US we saw them finish 30 seconds behind the winner and today we saw them setting consistently slower times than the cars ahead of them (at most points, almost a second off the pace!). They were consistent good at making the best out of others misfortune, but when in a direct matchup, they tended to be consistently the third fastest team, which is just not good enough.

Top speed is more relative to setup than the car. They had to gear the car towards the race setup (faster top speeds) because they couldn't match the teams ahead of them even if they used a qualifying setup (low top speed, high downforce). In a way, they had to sacrifice a few qualifying positions each weekend, hoping they could make those positions back with the race setup (probably the reason they managed to get on the podium often).

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Clean air around sidepods was a huge problem since England and the team didn't do anything to solve that. We just saw some flo-vis on sidepods in FPs and some bargeboard updates but nothing major. Thats sad for such a huge team without any limits in terms of recources and money.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

TheGkbrk wrote:Clean air around sidepods was a huge problem since England and the team didn't do anything to solve that. We just saw some flo-vis on sidepods in FPs and some bargeboard updates but nothing major. Thats sad for such a huge team without any limits in terms of recources and money.
I think the hurry up and get early spec F2012 competitive cost the team towards end of the year. I think they concentrated so much on just getting to car to compete early on they didn't think too much about future development. I think some time after the summer break they realized to take a good cut out of the gap to RB & MaCa they realized they would need to redesign much of the car. Which just wasn't feasible so instead they decided to try and refine certain pieces. And it worked insomuch that it allowed them to maintain the gap to the leaders but not decrease it.
The 2013 car must be better than the F2012 obviously. Lets see how they try to accomplish that task.

bhall
bhall

TheGkbrk wrote:Silence in this forum after losing the championship...
[...]
If someone had told me after Australia that Ferrari would finish the season with its lead driver three points away from the World Championship, I would have wondered how someone of such slight intelligence figured out the Internet enough to make such an irrational claim. Given the myriad problems faced by the team - tire wear, pitch sensitivity, low-speed traction, top speed, etc. - and the fact that its design tools are obviously compromised, the Scuderia's record of achievement this year has been nothing short of astonishing.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Add the fact that they've secured more funding for themselves in 2013 and cut funding for an already cost cutting McLaren in 2013 by beating them in WCC, I don't see much for them to be unhappy about.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

mbvinnie wrote:
stefan_ wrote:OK, so the season has ended.
You can't win the championship with a car like the F2012, I am amazed by how Alonso drove it and managed to drag it into a championship fight. Massa couldn't simply understand it at the beggining of the season and that is unacceptable. No major updates, no wind tunnel - track correlation, guessing and going blind with the exhaust solution and guessing with the FW / RW solutions. This was not a good car and they patched it up during the season.
It wasn't that bad. The real issue was qualy pace.

It was the best starting car.
It was a very reliable car.
It had very good consistent race pace - it was a much better race car relatively then qualy car.
It always had decent top speed allowing passing opportunities.

So never really the best car, but definitely some plus points. Even Massa showed it was alright at the end of the season!
Top speed issues were only sorted around Canada time, but yeah, since then top speed was very good. So much so that Alonso could defend from others behind even if they had DRS, most notably at Hockenheim and Abu Dhabi.

Hail22

And so comes the closing of the curtains on the F2012.

Looking forward to the 2013 rumour thread minus the infamous Alogoc.

Will be organising tickets for the first round of winter tests (when the test calendar is revealed).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

agungn51

is it only a rain blanket for camera ? or else ? looks like a cable going inside the hood
" Many inventors achieve great success, because they treat inventing like a serious busines - Inventing is often the easy part; the trick is to know what needs to be invented "

stefan_
stefan_

Probably it is a top secret device which is also illegal.

It's a rain blanket for the camera...
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

medeni73
medeni73

So how it looks for F2013? Wind tunnel will be main issue cos test days are limited like always (next year even more?)
We closed our tunnel and will get new one around 2014/2015 so we are stuck with Toyota tunnel...With it we have again correlation problems, so the way I see it, its not the tunnel but maybe the way how Ferrari engineers process or understand those raw tunnel data???

diffuser

Well, they're gonna be rebuilding the wind tunnel in Maranello. Montezemelo said that the F2013 was being built with the Toyota tunnel(http://www.formula1onlive.com/2012/10/f ... owing.html). So we shouldn't have any colaborations problems.

What is more interesting to me is whether Ferrari will be going pullrod or pushrod front suspension next year. I thought that would be a dead give away at how successful Ferrari thought the pullrod 2012 experiment went. Now I'm reading the bulk head height for 2014 will be lowered from 625mm to 500mm...

From http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/01/20 ... #more-3081
As there’s been such huge interest in the 2013 nose, its worth noting the regulations for 2014 have been published by the FIA for some time. As part of the safety programme the FIA will introduce much lower noses. The nose tip must be centered around 185mm and the front bulkhead lowered to 500mm. Also front wings will be narrower, top rear wings will be shallower and there’ll be no beam wing.

I'm not sure but I think that height is much easier to achieve with a pullrod system. So I'm thinking it is pretty certain that their gonna stay pullrod.

aral
aral

stefan_ wrote:Probably it is a top secret device which is also illegal.

It's a rain blanket for the camera...
No, its for transport protection.

Intego

diffuser wrote:... What is more interesting to me is whether Ferrari will be going pullrod or pushrod front suspension next year. I thought that would be a dead give away at how successful Ferrari thought the pullrod 2012 experiment went. Now I'm reading the bulk head height for 2014 will be lowered from 625mm to 500mm...
I'm not sure but I think that height is much easier to achieve with a pullrod system. So I'm thinking it is pretty certain that their gonna stay pullrod.
Fry: The Ferrari of 2013 will maintain the pull rod suspension
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Richard
Richard

For the avoidance of doubt, the F2012 is a car. See the picture at the top of this page.

Posts about pasta eating have been deleted, laments about bad luck have been deleted. Comments about the team are in Scuderia Ferrari thread. :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

Remember the maxim - if your comment is not about the car then is does not belong in this thread.