Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari F2012

I've wondered about its purpose since the winter tests, and I've yet to see a good explanation.

Cam

Best guess Ben? You have a gut feeling that is usually close on these things.

Those 2 silver things look like vents or nozzles, but I can't see how they would be beneficial there. Piping air into the beam wing is not new, but where are the exits? Unless it's just the frame and its not working yet?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Cam wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Apologies if this was discussed, I have flicked back and cannot see anything on it. What is that bar for (round tube coming out the back of the rear of the body work to the beam wing? Could it be carrying air for blowing or just structural?
Edit: typo
I think the only difference is how the bodywork(engine cover) has changed. If you notice in the first image the bodywork is straight & flat. But in the second image, it's curved and shaped. The small bar has been on the F2012 since day one and is visible in the launch pictures, which is why I'm saying the change is in the bodywork and not the piece that attaches to the beam wing.

Cam

Cheers Crucial. So is that bar simply structural?
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Cam wrote:Cheers Crucial. So is that bar simply structural?
I think so. A quick look back to winter testing shows something very similar looking.

Whether the bar or the silver nozzles I think they've basically been there all year in one form or another. Unless of course we're talking about different things in which I might be over looking. Hope not though. :)

bhall
bhall

You know, I've never really paid attention to those silver "things." If I had to hazard a guess at this point, I'd say maybe they were used to make rear ride height or other suspension adjustments. One of the problems associated with a pull rod layout is the difficulty in making adjustments to the suspension, because the floor usually has to be removed to do it. But, with those access points on the beam wing and the channel that appears to extend to the gearbox (also the suspension) from them, it's not out of the realm of possibility that it all could be for that purpose. That's just a guess, though. It could just simply be how the rear wing assembly is attached to the chassis.

Cam

Yes Crucial - we're looking at the same thing.

I went back and found this from Monza I believe - no nozzles, definitely tubing and cables of some sort.
f1316 wrote:Image
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Good pics today in Monza
You'd think those "nozzles" are brand new then, as adjustments would remain all year, or another purpose altogether?
― Socrates

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

a question for others - do you think we put too much focus on the Monza package, instead of a bigger upgrade for the rest of the season? Monza package worked very well but it is only useful for 1 race. Look at Red Bull - they were prepared to take the hit at Monza, but focuses on big upgrades for Singapore and Suzuka which ensured they were competitive for the rest of the season.

raymondu999

That's an interesting question. The F2012 even to the end of the year wasn't strong in the slow corners, and earlier on wasn't strong on the straights - but yet worked well in Monza.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall

Did it really, though? The car was only good enough for the 12th fastest speed trap in qualifying and the 11th-fastest lap during the race.

raymondu999

It was clearly in the hunt for pole at the very least.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

elFranZ

Monza package is designed a part from the rest of the car during the early stages of the project.
They "simply" did a very good job for Monza while RedBull didn't.

Nando
Nando

According to the onboard on Massa he hits 340km/h before braking for a split second.
But his registered speed is 337km/h

I think that the speed trap sits a little to far back to get the actual top speed just before they brake.
Massa never hits the limiter either, we know for example Hamilton (S-trap = 341,6) was on his limiter for quite some time.

So Massa had a higher top speed but Hamilton hit his earlier and thus registered a higher speed in the speed trap.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson Analysis of the F2012 latest brake duct updates

Via AutoSport

Latest on RW

Via AutoSport

diffuser

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here's the latest from Piola on the last F2012 Updates
The sad part is that updates did nothing for the car after Silverstone.
Agreed. The poorly designed F2012 hit its development ceiling far earlier than its rivals. The small refinements only helped to maintain the gap, not close it. Which actually gives me hope for 2013. The team obviously knew they had basically reached the end of development without a redesign(too late in season) so the fact the small refinements helped to maintain the gap tells me they at least have a good understanding of the car. Which will help since the Regs don't change much for 2013.
Crutial I'm gonna fight u on this one and to a certain degree, I think what we're saying is very similar but expressed differently. I really don't like the term that they've "reached the development ceiling of the F2012". Primarily cause the F2012 becomes the F2013 and therefore implies the F2013 will never get quicker than the F2012 was. Also, Silverstone was June!!!! Man, they could have made a major change but they didn't get that they would have major problems getting much more speed out of the car. I think they're still searching.