Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F138

kris

vowdy wrote:Interesting rear wing endplate indeed.
They seem to have extended the vertical gills at the bottom of the RW right to the top this year.

gibells

FrukostScones wrote:
gibells wrote:Scarbs is saying it's a modesty panel, but I'm not so sure. Look at how much is missing underneath the nose.

@scarbsF1 'Ferrari F138: New nose vane layout and modesty panel'
it has to be a modesty panel, otherwise illegally high
Afaik, the height of the tub is limited, and the height of the tip is limited. How they choose to get there is there business, except that the nose must be strong enough to pass safety tests.

bhall

Looks like the car will feature a passive F-duct ("VD"). If they work as intended, the vanes along the trailing edge of the rear wing end plates should function like a sort of diffuser. That will help draw out air vented from the jet, which should help "stall" the main plane quickly and uniformly when DRS is deployed.

EDIT: Could increase downforce, too, if they help to move air under the wing more efficiently.

Or they could be can-openers; I don't know.

(Interesting that the team edited them out of the overhead shot.)
Last edited by bhall on 01 Feb 2013, 12:19, edited 2 times in total.

Lorenzo_Bandini

http://www.caranddriverthef1.com/formul ... 17-ferrari

The nose is very high, and the sidepost shape is the same as last year

FrukostScones

gibells wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
gibells wrote:Scarbs is saying it's a modesty panel, but I'm not so sure. Look at how much is missing underneath the nose.

Afaik, the height of the tub is limited, and the height of the tip is limited. How they choose to get there is there business, except that the nose must be strong enough to pass safety tests.
business of modesty panel
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Forza

via AMUS

muelte

There seems to be some kind of vertical strakes in the top of the difusser, a bit like RB8, or am I wrong? I see two of them beside the brake duct in the picture.

turbof1

They used the same chassis as last year. The sidepods are canada spec.
#AeroFrodo

painkiller

Tail and Gearbox looks Williams-like... nice...

Huntresa

gibells wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Ofc its a modesty panel, otherwise it would be a step, since the nost cant be higher then the max 55.

FW17

A lot straighter rear wishbone in comparison to Mclaren

Huntresa

Forza wrote:Image

via AMUS
If those tyres and markings are the exact same size and in the exact same position in both pics it looks like ferrari has gained some space under the nose, look where the underside of the nose comes out from the tyre in relation to the long yellow stripe on the tyre.

Could this be modesty panel trick with gaining space under the nose? Not saying it is but it does look like more space under the nose and they were pretty much on the limit of the rules last year i assume so :P

Huntresa

Dunno if this is correct but im trying to show what im seeing

The red line represents the underside of the nose in relation to the yellow stripe, seems to be higher up on the new car, might be wrong who knows.

Gerhardsa

Most Definetaly a Modesty Panel.