Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
skoop

Re: Ferrari F138

AMuS did a very interesting interview with pat fry about the developments on de F138. the main points are:

-probles startet in kanada when they introduced new body work
-they tried variations of their car with more rake
-they were lucky that the car didn't destroy the 2013 tires like merc did
-they tried red bulls exhaust solution
-they didn't use the hole in the nose anymore becouse it wasn't helping and they wanted to simplify everything
-everyone's working on interactive suspensions. even though it doesn't make you that faster it's worth developing
-it's a good thing to have many chiefs like merc does.
-they started working testing on the 2014 car 2 years ago. since january thei're testing in their windcanal. since 2012 rory bryne is working with a team on engine introduction
-the biggest challange is there'll be changes everywhere and you can make mistakes everywhere
-cooling propably will be very conversative, becouse you can't afford to be working on such things
-aerodynamic will be as important as in the past 15 years. engines won't make that difference. maybe in race when it comes to fuel efficancy
-there will be entirely new solutions no one ever has seen before
-aerodinamic wise there aren't much loopholes, but engine wise are many things you can do
-if f14 (not official name of the new car) wins it won't be ugly

read full story here: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43954.html

SectorOne

Anyone else noticed the strange sound coming from the Ferrari during onboard shots as the speed increases?

Sounds like a fan or generator ramping up as the speed goes up.
I´ve listened to other cars and it´s only the Ferrari that makes this sound.

Edit: vacuum cleaner type sound i´d say.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:Anyone else noticed the strange sound coming from the Ferrari during onboard shots as the speed increases?

Sounds like a fan or generator ramping up as the speed goes up.
I´ve listened to other cars and it´s only the Ferrari that makes this sound.

Edit: vacuum cleaner type sound i´d say.
Indeed, I think it was at the Nurburgring (?), the Ferrari would make that sound after it reached 280 km/h. I remember hearing it on Hulkenberg's Ferrari-powered car as well, but I don't remember the race (Korea perhaps??)

SectorOne

So far i´ve heard it on every onboard from the Ferrari regardless of track.
I don´t know what it is but it´s definitely tied to the speed of the car as you can hear it ramp up considerably with speed and decrease when slowing the car down.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Alonso Fan

Yep, I've heard it too. Since Silverstone where it was mentioned on this topic if i remember correctly
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Burgess

I'm pretty sure that sound has been around for a few years.

Mark4211

This sound?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G76J1zlf4oA[/youtube]
8 seconds into the video, 250km/h.

mikeerfol

Mark4211 wrote:This sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G76J1zlf4oA
8 seconds into the video, 250km/h.
Yup.

Any ideas?

majki2111

I think it is only engine.

Manoah2u

majki2111 wrote:I think it is only engine.
something more/different to be honest. The engine sound doesn't change throughout the video,
and is still present, the sound heard as of 250+ is an additional sound, it does increase with velocity,
but it doesn't follow engine revs. If it was engine, it would have appeared at lower speeds paired with
revs. If it is mechanically, it could only be the gearbox, but since it disappears at 310+ i don't think
that's the case. Might think it has something to do with floor blowing and engine mapping, but then
still it's nothing mechanical but a result of airpressure.

interesting.

It's somewhere between 250kmph and 310 kmph,
when the topspeed is above 310, it disappears, and it disappears below 250 aswell.
i'd be interested to see if there are other onboard vids that show a similar sound.
I'm not ruling out the simple possibility it's the sound of air [turbulence] generated,
perhaps because the camera's are just above/front of the secondary intake.
Just a wild thought, based upon nothing to be honest.

The sound suddenly pops up right above 250, and disappears at 310, it's not kers obviously,
If it were the sound of tires, it wouldn't fade away at 310+. Air pressure/cutting through air
seems imho the first most logical explenation, but, again, it's still wild guessing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

infy

The sound starts and ends when DRS is activated and deactivated. The graphic on the left must be delayed.

How I imagine it works is:

Video: Video camera -> fast wire connection -> video processing -> upload
Graphic: Car wireless connection to team -> FIA -> video processing -> upload

Wireless would struggle to have as low a latency as wired which would explain any delay there.

RZS10

infy wrote:The sound starts and ends when DRS is activated and deactivated. The graphic on the left must be delayed.

How I imagine it works is:

Video: Video camera -> fast wire connection -> video processing -> upload
Graphic: Car wireless connection to team -> FIA -> video processing -> upload

Wireless would struggle to have as low a latency as wired which would explain any delay there.
nah, not DRS, there's no DRS at 0:08, only from 0:32 ... but then no DRS 0:52 ... DRS at 1:16, no DRS at 1:31 and 1:41 ... but there's always this sound

atlantis

maybe it's some kind of high freq vibration on the camera? i've seen many videos videos but the sound isn't there