Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Ferrari F138

Sensor. You can see another one on the right endplate above the "Santander" white stripe, and the wire that comes back on the internal side.

shelly
shelly

heho07 wrote:Can anyone answer my questions:
1-Why and how air inside red rectangular goes outside as i show them with red arrows.
2-How circle like shape appear on the floor?is it where exhaust gas hit the floor?
3-Why blue arrows start from red rectangular?
Thanks.

Sorry for my bad English.

To me it is very interesting the more marked oil line near the blue arrow on the right. Its bow shape seems to suggest that there is a big stagnation just downstream - the stagnation induced by the presence of the exhaust stream tube I suppose.
It is like seeing the virtual walls of an invisible redbull tunnel in action
twitter: @armchair_aero

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Sorry if this has already been posted, but did anyone else notice a big inlet under the F138's nose when Pedro was driving?

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

amouzouris

Indeed i think there is...

Hail22

hairy_scotsman wrote:Sorry if this has already been posted, but did anyone else notice a big inlet under the F138's nose when Pedro was driving?

Very good spotting Hairy, You can clearly see a VHS tape width hole about 30mm high. Could possibly be feeding a future DDRS device...or a new cooling inlet?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Seems like something they've added to the underside of the chassis. The black part seems thicker. See the distance between the white stripe and the bottom.

I don't think that they would add such a huge opening in such a sensitive area if not to increase performance. I would say it's not just for cooling

korzeniow
korzeniow

Cooling would be the safest bet. It's hard to imagine anything elese :?
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

They were gathering data for the simultator. Can it be a sensor? Cooling in that area? And mess with the air that's going to the T-tray? Odd!

FrukostScones

Last edited by FrukostScones on 11 Feb 2013, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

amouzouris

The whole of Ferrari's KERS unit is located in a box under the fuel tank..it could be for KERS cooling

zonk
zonk

Ted Kravitz said that Masa was complaining about cokpit getting hot

go to 10:10min

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGJvMZbg ... ded#t=609s[/youtube]
Last edited by zonk on 09 Feb 2013, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

infy
infy

Its probably just a short-term solution to help with cooling. They will probably move it to a less sensitive area when back at the factory.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Making a solution only for the last day? And so big? Odd!!

What's the shoe number of Pedro de la Rosa?

JMN
JMN

It doesn't look like a short-term solution to me, but it seems odd to go to such lengths to increase the volume of air under the nose only to harvest a good portion of it for driver cooling while risking flow separation in a critical area. Don't get me wrong, a cooked driver is just as problematic an issue as a cooked gearbox. The RB8 letterbox on top of the nose helped cool drivers while making the effective frontal cross section somewhat smaller compared to the higher F138 nose.

FrukostScones

i don't think it is for cooling (letterbox on RB8 wasn't for cooling either I think), I think it is for routing a high amount of air through the cockpit for aero purpose. (Lotus had also a huge hole under the nose in 2012 to feed air into the bulkhead).
There has to be a large opening in the Ferrari bulkhead, so I guess it was very well planned to have this kind of gaping duct under the nose.
(maybe it is only for KERS cooling but I don' think so)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.