Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Ferrari F138

Pat Fry Interview:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzkzp14Qyto[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Coefficient
Coefficient

otbsti wrote:Camera connection could make sense, but 2 things come to mind: 1. They aren't running any cameras in there during testing. They are dummy pods for aero purposes I thought. 2. Why would it be a cable that has to be un-plugged carefully by a mechanic ? Everyone else has cameras on the nose cone, but they seem to be a quick connect or something similar as they certainly don't carefully unplug and plug them back in during a nose change during a race (for example).

Just throwing it out there... I'm most likely wrong, but I thought it was an interesting set of photos.
The teams are told which cameras will be used on their cars for TV during the race weekend. Teams therefore know they don't need to bother hooking up the nose camera's if for example they have been told the T camera will be used on their car and no others.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

raymondu999

Coefficient - to my knowledge, they're required to have the camera pod winglets there anyways even if there are no cameras installed there for that particular weekend. Ballasted to cover for the camera loss.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

F1 test- Barcelona - Day 2

Coefficient
Coefficient

raymondu999 wrote:Coefficient - to my knowledge, they're required to have the camera pod winglets there anyways even if there are no cameras installed there for that particular weekend. Ballasted to cover for the camera loss.

Yes thats right, they have to carry dummies in the redundant camara positions. Given that most teams move their forward cameras around for varying aerodynamic effect and that we only occassionally see shots from the front camera's it seems to me that the front cameras are commonly the dummies with the majority of onboard footage coming from the T camera position as this tends to be the favoured shot for the telemetry graphic overlay. This is possibly why we see such rapid nose changes but in F1 it seems odd to have a cable flapping about in the nose which leads me to suspect it is a temporary solution which will become fully integrated before long.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Forza

BCN T02- Day 2

Crabbia
Crabbia

Interesting in the post above, the rake on the left hand side of the car ( the second image from the top) is angled upwards.

The rake on the right hand side (first image) the rake is aligned with the horizontal.

Seems to confirm the belief ( i think Shelly had when he looked at the flow vis of the floor in that area) that ferrari have basically a "virtual RB ramp". one stream flowing over the side pods and down towards the tires and RW endplate and the other flowing underneath this and the exhaust outlet and onto the diffuser ramp.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

raymondu999

Coefficient wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Coefficient - to my knowledge, they're required to have the camera pod winglets there anyways even if there are no cameras installed there for that particular weekend. Ballasted to cover for the camera loss.

Yes thats right, they have to carry dummies in the redundant camara positions. Given that most teams move their forward cameras around for varying aerodynamic effect and that we only occassionally see shots from the front camera's it seems to me that the front cameras are commonly the dummies with the majority of onboard footage coming from the T camera position as this tends to be the favoured shot for the telemetry graphic overlay. This is possibly why we see such rapid nose changes but in F1 it seems odd to have a cable flapping about in the nose which leads me to suspect it is a temporary solution which will become fully integrated before long.
Oh you meant not hook up the camera cabling! Apologies. I thought you meant teams wouldn't hook up the redundant camera winglets.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f@natic

Last edited by f@natic on 20 Feb 2013, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

AUTOSPORT Live ‏@autosportlive
Alonso goes green in the first two sectors but his lap unravels in the third and a 1m24.094s is comfortably slower than his today best

Consider&Go
Consider&Go

PABLOEING wrote:AUTOSPORT Live ‏@autosportlive
Alonso goes green in the first two sectors but his lap unravels in the third and a 1m24.094s is comfortably slower than his today best
Either it all went horribly wrong, or he purposely backed off in S3. I hope for the latter!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

For those of you worried about the Ferrari tire degradation, you're not alone. Sergio Perez has some worries too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105642
"I hope it changes, because if we are in this situation in Melbourne we are going to see something like seven or 10 stops."
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

radosav
radosav

Ferrari's head of engine and electronics Luca Marmorini says the team will have a new exhaust layout at the final pre-season test but admitted some concern over introducing it to the car so late.

Fernando Alonso's running on day two of the second test at Barcelona was reduced after some burnt bodywork had to be replaced when Ferrari ran an exhaust to the end of its life. Last year the team struggled to get the Coanda effect exhausts working on the car in pre-season testing, and Marmorini admitted that not having enough time to test a new solution before Melbourne carried some risk.

"Failing an exhaust, especially on the primary part, can force you to stop the car so it's as critical as failing a piston or a gearbox," Marmorini said. "So we have a lot of concern about introducing an exhaust solution without the right amount of tests, but we have to push until the end. Until now we have a process to test on the dyno and in free practice some different exhausts, so we are trying to keep the same. But the more you push on this the more direct the impact can be.

"So, for example, this morning we tried to test the exhaust until the end of its life because we definitely need to know where is the limit of the life of the exhaust so that we don't stop the car. But I think the engine people are a little bit uncomfortable with this. But we will be sure that in Melbourne we have solutions that have been tested enough."

Marmorini also said that he had seen the Williams and Caterham exhaust solutions and that Ferrari would have a new design at the final test.

"It is very interesting and we are working on a different solution as well. The advantage of the exhausts is not making the car much faster than another one; it is only contributing to the last few tenths. At the moment we are working on a solution different to them but we are also working on the dyno and in the wind tunnel a completely different solution. We will put on the car what we think is the best [solution].

"We do expect a similar advantage from working the exhaust last year, nothing more."

Edit : Link http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _concerns/
Last edited by radosav on 21 Feb 2013, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.