Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Ferrari F138

Everyone who did this (one slow lap at the beginning of the race simulation) got consistent laptimes afterwards. This was a way to somewhat cheat the cold conditions.

Spankyham

radosav wrote:
gandharva wrote:Only possible because of the extremly slow first lap. -> 1.33.358
But that's nothing you can do in a real race.
ferrari used ''used'' tyres during races in season 2012. they would run their tyres 2 or 3 laps much slower than usual durin fridays so that tyers would behave better during races. maybe they tried the same here, first 2-3 laps ''cooking'' tyres , and after evaluating their performance.
Good pick up, we called that "curing" but I'm fairly certain most teams were aware of that.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

godlameroso

I don't think we've seen the true F138 yet, I don't think we'll even see it in Melbourne, I'd say more than likely the real car will be shown around the Spanish GP. This seems like a test car so far, this week we'll see a few tweaks here and there, the most obvious change will be a new rear wing. I just hope Ferrari can tune out their understeer, their front wing lacks downforce compared to some of their rivals.
Saishū kōnā

Crabbia
Crabbia

infy wrote:
Can they not keep them? Seems wise to have that info during races.
i think what you see there is the tip of the iceberg. what is visible is simply the "eye". attached to that would be a recording device or a transmitter at a minimum. could be quite bulky.

they have tyre temperature and pressure sensors embedded in the wheels i seem to recall, so that would give them information they need on the tire during the race.

i suspect these cameras are there just to detail if the tire is spreading the heat evenly across the surface in real time. a 4D mapping of heat flow on the surface of the tire.

Also, i assume this can be used correlate the tyre temp and pressure sensor to the external temp of the tyre and make sure the on board sensors are accurate.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

godlameroso wrote:I don't think we've seen the true F138 yet, I don't think we'll even see it in Melbourne, I'd say more than likely the real car will be shown around the Spanish GP. This seems like a test car so far, this week we'll see a few tweaks here and there, the most obvious change will be a new rear wing. I just hope Ferrari can tune out their understeer, their front wing lacks downforce compared to some of their rivals.
Alonso tends to like understeer...

raymondu999

dr_cooke wrote:
godlameroso wrote:I don't think we've seen the true F138 yet, I don't think we'll even see it in Melbourne, I'd say more than likely the real car will be shown around the Spanish GP. This seems like a test car so far, this week we'll see a few tweaks here and there, the most obvious change will be a new rear wing. I just hope Ferrari can tune out their understeer, their front wing lacks downforce compared to some of their rivals.
Alonso tends to like understeer...
As I have discussed on this forum once... http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=510

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think the Renault steering aggressiveness is a good barometer to judge the current Alonso. Alonso certainly is one of the more interesting case studies in adaptability. If you look at his onboards from 2003, he's seemingly changed every year.

Taking a look at his onboards year on year, let's pay attention to the steering:

His steering entries at Renault through 2003-2006 were certainly massively aggressive: (this is from 05)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zWxHS6PMuk[/youtube]

But with the McLaren on Bridgestones, it was VERY dfferent:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES3uRsBiDOk[/youtube]

Then we had the 08 Renault on Bridgestones (remember they were on Michelin rubber in 03-06). In comparison to his first Renault stint, his two Renault comeback years were comparatively dainty.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmcPasRvg88[/youtube]

2009 Renault (different aero and slicks now)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APYDPjNgYg[/youtube]

2010 Ferrari on the new understeery Bridgestone slicks - there's certainly an added "busy"ness to his steering movements as he takes multiple stabs into corners.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWYPpxIgXpI[/youtube]

2011 Ferrari on the first Pirelli year. He reverses his 2010 style as his entry sweeps are a lot calmer, but when he unwinds the steering, he takes multiple stabs.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXElpqhI0I[/youtube]

2012 Ferrari this year. Things are a lot calmer with the wheel, a lot more "Jenson Button" like in the entry/exit sweeps.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyMZZKLRks[/youtube]

My point is - while Alonso was certainly aggressive on the wheel with his Renault, I'm not sure that it may necessarily be the case with his current year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gilles 27

As i understood it right at the last test, the tyres must be treathing very gentle in the early laps this year.
The secret, like last year ,would be, wich car is the must balancend (aero and suspension) and can raise the tyres in the temperature window faster.
The problem was that in Jerez and Barcelona Tests, it was very cold, so the teams has to fight with many graining.
So even we should wait the first three races to see how it works this year.

Blackout

Crabbia wrote:
Blackout wrote:I love this pic...

What are those things that look like little cameras placed on the vertical deflectors on the edge of each sidepod ?
i saw those too. I'm pretty sure they are thermal cameras. since they seem to be angled to the front tires.

if not thermal cameras then something else, but it is definitely a measuring device, i remember it being on the F2012 during testing last year too.

If I'm right it will be gone in australia as they were last year.
http://i.imgur.com/CIGBqZN.jpg
better view and here you can see they are angled to the front wheels.
OK thanks. they just look well integrated and not very temporary.

Redragon

Blackout wrote:
Crabbia wrote:
Blackout wrote:I love this pic...

What are those things that look like little cameras placed on the vertical deflectors on the edge of each sidepod ?
i saw those too. I'm pretty sure they are thermal cameras. since they seem to be angled to the front tires.

if not thermal cameras then something else, but it is definitely a measuring device, i remember it being on the F2012 during testing last year too.

If I'm right it will be gone in australia as they were last year.
http://i.imgur.com/CIGBqZN.jpg
better view and here you can see they are angled to the front wheels.
OK thanks. they just look well integrated and not very temporary.
Is it permitted to have them on race? what if they have them on race and they are use to know more accuretly the status of tyre degradation? What about the back?

aral
aral

These are only the speakers from Alonsos mp3 player, and will probably remain for the season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

f1316
f1316

Redragon wrote:
Is it permitted to have them on race? what if they have them on race and they are use to know more accuretly the status of tyre degradation? What about the back?
I don't think they'd want to - it's unecessary weight. They'll be understanding the tyre behaviour on full tanks during testing and practice, and have sensors during the race.

Redragon

f1316 wrote:
Redragon wrote:
I don't think they'd want to - it's unecessary weight. They'll be understanding the tyre behaviour on full tanks during testing and practice, and have sensors during the race.
A HD go pro camera with body is just 75 grames, take of the body and it is probably half of that weight. Counting the total weight it would be 300 grames for four cameras. I doesn't feel heavy to me. Maybe for F1 is.
No disagreeing just trying to understand. Cheers!

infy
infy

Redragon wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Redragon wrote:
A HD go pro camera with body is just 75 grames, take of the body and it is probably half of that weight. Counting the total weight it would be 300 grames for four cameras. I doesn't feel heavy to me. Maybe for F1 is.
No disagreeing just trying to understand. Cheers!
Sensors probably weigh less than a camera too. Plus if we consider that this is F1 and how much money they can throw at something, its weight could be extremely low.

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Session 2) - Day 1 (28.02.2013)

AMuS

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

BCN T03- Day 1

F138 rear detail & running Flow Vis on brake ducts (front left & rear left)