Singapore Night GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Singapore Night GP 2008

"I’d say it requires double the energy of Monaco over a single lap. One lap around here is like two laps of Monaco!" -- Massa

The drivers will certainly earn their pay here :D
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

axle
axle

roost89 wrote:
axle wrote:Alonso again demonstrates his driving abilities. Well done to him on topping FP2...he is definately wringing the neck of that Renault.

Not sure how Quali is going to go!

At least it was dry!
I was listening to it on the radio and the commentators said that Alonso may have been using Quali tyres and that's what gave him the speed.

Do you think that is the case?

Well done to him, topping FP2!
There is no such thing as a quali tyre. He used the option yes (super soft) but so did half the field inc Hamilton.

I think as the rubber goes down we'll see 1.44 laps in quali maybe even a high 1.43.
- Axle

myurr
myurr

They were probably referring to him doing a low fuel 'quali' style run.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

myurr wrote:They were probably referring to him doing a low fuel 'quali' style run.
Yep, ITV confirmed that Alonso's FP2 top time was indeed set on low fuel banzai lap.. Still he looks like he could be best of the rest behind the top 3 teams.
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

yzfr7
yzfr7

Scotracer wrote:"I’d say it requires double the energy of Monaco over a single lap. One lap around here is like two laps of Monaco!" -- Massa

The drivers will certainly earn their pay here :D

Actually that was Hamilton showing how good he is with maths.
pax

donskar
donskar

I sure hope Kimi is wrong:
"Overtaking? I don't think we will see much, as usual in fact."
Easy to read too much into too little, but that "as usual in fact" could be the words of a man just tired of it all.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

While in Singapore, Ickystone is quoted as saying, on the SPEED TV web site:
JAPAN NEXT ON BERNIE’S NIGHT RACE RADAR Trackside at F1’s first night venue in Singapore, F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone admitted he has set his sights on the next floodlit host.

“We’re going to try to get Japan to do it,” the 77-year-old billionaire said on Friday. “It will be prime time in China and this part of the world and in Europe it will be at a sociable hour to watch rather than the middle of the night.

myurr
myurr

yzfr7 wrote: Actually that was Hamilton showing how good he is with maths.
Was going to say that not being content with stealing Hamilton's race victories they're after his quotes as well now...

boci
boci

donskar wrote:Q. And what is your next dream?

BE: I mustn't tell you. My wife will go mad.
Maybe a collaboration with Max Mosley? :lol:

Conceptual
Conceptual

donskar wrote:While in Singapore, Ickystone is quoted as saying, on the SPEED TV web site:
JAPAN NEXT ON BERNIE’S NIGHT RACE RADAR Trackside at F1’s first night venue in Singapore, F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone admitted he has set his sights on the next floodlit host.

“We’re going to try to get Japan to do it,” the 77-year-old billionaire said on Friday. “It will be prime time in China and this part of the world and in Europe it will be at a sociable hour to watch rather than the middle of the night.

Suzuka under the lights?

I would REALLY like to see that!

WhiteBlue

The track is much bumpier than anybody thought. The Australian track designers messed a bit up there. On top they positioned the in lane and the out lane of the pits smack innthe middle of the racing line. [-X these kids should take a lesson from Herman the German, hoho. :lol:

The Italian light guys did really well. I don't think it wouldmake much of a difference compared to natural daylight in a severy rainstorm. In Monza on Friday it was certainly worse and they maged without too much carnage. Tropical monsoons are allways bad news for a motor race. I don't think they would be worse here.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

yzfr7
yzfr7

andartop wrote:As for Bernie's comments, he really came out arrogant to say the least. On the other hand, some of the questions reminded me MAD magazine's stupid answers to stupid questions section. I mean, anyone would expect more from the guy who runs F1, but I would also expect more from the guys who interview that guy...
That is just him. Anyone who ever heard an interview with him before knows that is the way he does it. At the grid before the last race he talked the same way with Martin Brandle. So I totally agree with you that the journalists should know better, but the way the press is these days, don't expect much from this side. I know there is half a dozen serious people there, but in general... just check the latest "news" - it was not only once, not only in one place.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Gravel_Trap
pax

Chaparral

WhiteBlue wrote:The track is much bumpier than anybody thought. The Australian track designers messed a bit up there. On top they positioned the in lane and the out lane of the pits smack innthe middle of the racing line. [-X these kids should take a lesson from Herman the German, hoho. :lol:

The Italian light guys did really well. I don't think it wouldmake much of a difference compared to natural daylight in a severy rainstorm. In Monza on Friday it was certainly worse and they maged without too much carnage. Tropical monsoons are allways bad news for a motor race. I don't think they would be worse here.
They're actually a arm of Kellogg Brown & Root which is a longstanding US engineering company Gordon and who didnt do a bad job with the Adelaide and Melbourne circuits =D> #-o I think you should also do some (extra) reading (Motor Sport UK July 2008 edition) Tosser Tilke was involved in the early stages and actually didnt go to Singapore himself as he wasnt interested and sent his brother instead and it all faded into obscurity and KBR took the project on under the direction of Colin Syn however the track pretty much designed itself.
Ive been to Singapore and to Penang a few times on holidays and conferences so know where the circuit runs - Singapore is a wonderful city. I also played cricket there against a team from Times Publishing at the Ceylon Cricket Club ground - we were just a team put together from the PolyGram Records sales team but a number of us had played cricket up to state level - I hit the second highest score for the day at 42 but I tell you we arrived at the ground at 9 am and it was 96 F and 98% humidity - I melted my whites I played in were soaked when I came off. The Times publishing team where pretty handy as they had 6 ex Indian test cricket players in the team but we beat them quite comfortably and enjoyed a number of long neck Anchor beers after and during the game. That night I met up with the cast of the US series Hill Street Blues at Raffles which then was a beautiful old rambling hotel dont know what its like these days Id say theyve renovated it hope theyve kept the charm. Sentosa Island was great - theres a gondola ride across the harbour to get there - I think its around 600 feet off the water and 11 people were killed when it failed one time - a great WWII museum also on Sentosa with a great wax work display. Great shopping down Orchard Rd also especially electronics.
I'm afraid night racing leaves me cold having some knowledge of Singapore and its circuit and it would be a far better event held in daylight - it has nothing to do with enhancing the overall excitement being run at night - its Ecclestones coffers pure and simple - he has to keep all the balls in the air with broadcast fees as he loses audiences in traditional markets - its all about the money. 8)

As an addendum if it rains it will be chaos
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

donskar
donskar

So Massa on pole, Kimi third, with LHam between them. Shaping up well, but if it rains . . .

donskar
donskar

Surprised to see Massa so far ahead of LHam. Over 6/10.

Vettel well back, considering the probable difficulty in passing.

Kubica may have a shot at breaking into the the Ferrar/McL fight.

Heiki may be too far back to aid LHam - if there are any team non-orders to do so. I'm sure Ron Dennis is his inimitable style will have been able to not tell Heiki to not be unhelpful.

Looking forward to LHam lapping Glock. Timo may have a wide track Toyota!