Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ell66
ell66

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Yes at THIS track.. But look at the others..
your only complaining because Ferrari cant make the harder tyres work.
Its been in the rules since 2007, and it would be stupid to take it away.

I think its interesting watching the teams in the midfield who run different strategy's nearly every race.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

ell66 wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Yes at THIS track.. But look at the others..
your only complaining because Ferrari cant make the harder tyres work.
Its been in the rules since 2007, and it would be stupid to take it away.

I think its interesting watching the teams in the midfield who run different strategy's nearly every race.

Once again it's false so stop talking nonsence. I have already said the same in 2009 and last year again.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Young driver test:

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

What does that thing on the left of the car do?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Measure air pressure in a grid layout to feed back into their simulations/windtunnel.

shelly
shelly

Full scale pitot rake! Is it the first time ferrari has mounted this device? Or had they already tried smaller rakes in winter testing?
twitter: @armchair_aero

aleks_ader

This are perfect pics for 2012 post!
shelly wrote:Full scale pitot rake! Is it the first time ferrari has mounted this device? Or had they already tried smaller rakes in winter testing?
I think they until now not use "measuring grill" in such "big" scale.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Pierce89

ell66 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:The hardest tires of the range are too hard. Not only because of the Ferrari but on the hards the cars never seem to race as hard, I guess because the cars feel less confident.

I also think the rule that you must use both compounds is ridiculous(anybody with a reason why they SHOULD do it?)
just because ferrari are the only top team unable to make them work..and why wouldnt you have the two tyre choice? it adds more strategy in to it, otherwise the vast majority of races would be run on just the soft tyre.

oh and the medium was the prime tyre this weekend not the hard.
I never said to take the choice away. I asked why REQUIRE the use of both compound. If you could use hards exclusively, bam a one stopper vs. tradional strategy vs. someone only using softs and on a 3 stopper would be way cooler than everyone on a variation of the same basic strategy.

P.S. I specifically stated I wasn't saying that from the perspective of helping Ferrari's performance, so ,I find your post a little strange.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

timbo
timbo

Interesting that pitot-tubes on that rig are facing downwards. Upwash measurement?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Could the tip down configuration be an attempt to remove the effect yaw movements from the measurements?

Brian

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

They are Cobra probes

http://www.turbulentflow.com.au/Product ... aProbe.php
The Cobra Probe is a multi-hole pressure probe able to resolve 3-components of velocity and local static pressure in real time. A frequency response in excess of 2000 Hz means the Cobra Probe is especially suited to the measurement of turbulent flows, although accurate mean-flow measurements are also made. The Cobra Probe is robust and easy to use.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I'm not sure that answers the orientation question.

Brian

PNSD
PNSD

f1 teams have plenty of money, there are pitots you can get which negate the effect of yaw with various intake designs.

I would assume this would further point to use of Toyota's wind tunnel and their PIV facilities. Its one of the most critical areas to achieve a correct mapping.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The probes mention above have an operating range of 45 degrees. Are you aware of something in the 180 degree range?

We have lots of data on the flow around a wheel and they don't indicate the wheel creating flow 90 degrees to the track surface. Something odd is going on the this test instrument.

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on 16 Nov 2011, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Ferrari are looking for static pressures,maybe the orientation does not matter

http://www.turbulentflow.com.au/Products/Products.php

The Cobra Probe is a 4-hole pressure probe that is able to resolve 3-components of velocity and local static pressure, and can measure flow fluctuations in excess of 2000 Hz within a ±45° acceptance cone. The Cobra Probe is ideal when the flow direction is not well known, large fluctuations in the flow direction occur, or a more robust probe than the traditional hot-wire anemometer is required.