Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DRCorsa
DRCorsa

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

amouzouris wrote:What does the exhaust expansion chamber do??
Thin oval section tailpipes of modern blown exhausts are good for aerodynamics but probably are bad for engine performance. Ferrari uses this "expansion chamber" to add volume to their engine's eshaust tailpipe (altering pulse rates at the same time), trying to regain all the lost performace due to the blown exhaust concept.

amouzouris

Ok! Thanks!

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Regarding the odd exhaust, I don't think it is aero related. There were no aero sensors back there and they were doing tire work today. So I'm guessing that they wanted to compare how the tires differed with the exhaust next to it and with next years configuration where it is out of the way. Thus an asymmetric configuration like that.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

DRCorsa wrote:
Thin oval section tailpipes of modern blown exhausts are good for aerodynamics but probably are bad for engine performance. Ferrari uses this "expansion chamber" to add volume to their engine's eshaust tailpipe (altering pulse rates at the same time), trying to regain all the lost performace due to the blown exhaust concept.
The oval exhaust would not have to be bad for engine performance.

I have seen these expansion branches in studies or models, but never in on actual race car of any type.

The exhaust collector pictured above fits under existing body work?

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here is a description of the exhaust ran during testing.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 18 Nov 2011, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

And why has this never been seen on ANY race car before? Why now when the rules have been in place for over a year? This is easily tested on the dyno, why waste time and exposer during a test?

This article does not connect the dots.

Something else going on not related to engine performance.

Brian

MIKEY_!

hardingfv32 wrote:
DRCorsa wrote:
The oval exhaust would not have to be bad for engine performance.
True but the nozzles they apparently run will create back pressure in the pipe effecting engine performance.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

There is no indication that the current exhaust outlets are too small. Look at the 2012 pipe tested by Williams in the last few days. It does not look very large and would be similar to the current outlets if crushed into an over.

And none of that different pipes for different engines. The outlet id for 2012 is specified at 75 mm. How could they set such a specification without concurrence of all the engine manufactures?

Brian

MIKEY_!

I heard somewhere, probably on this site (I'll try and find it), that the teams run nozzles to increase the speed of the exhaust gasses to improve diffuser sealing. They banned it for next year to prevent teams running really aggressive nozzles, thus preventing them extending the effective range of the exhaust stream. If they could have a nozzle they could blow the beam wing more effectively.

I think it is more about different exhausts for different diffusers rather than engines.

Mazdaboy

Hi! Somebody know what's this??? Pressure sensor in the wing???

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A vibration/malformation sensor??

Onch

Yup that's a 3-axes acceleration sensor.

It looks like it is a simple charge accelerometer. If it is the case the only thing they have measured with this setup is the vibration of the cables due to wind buffeting! :wtf: #-o

aleks_ader

Onch wrote:Yup that's a 3-axes acceleration sensor.

It looks like it is a simple charge accelerometer. If it is the case the only thing they have measured with this setup is the vibration of the cables due to wind buffeting! :wtf: #-o
If this is really acceleration sensor i think so:

Cable is tight atach on the side pod!! So this is quite relevant measurmend!! I guess they want to know vibration level of sidepod and than they will repair/stiffner the construction of the whole wing!

To strongs vibration of the wing are a seriuos problem for driver and car performance! So they search every weeknes on the car and repair it. They want for next year pure perfection.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

jakeconway
jakeconway

Actually looks more like a differential air pressure sensor to me.
If you were running an acceleromater there, you would run a much smaller one. People hve been running "in ear" accelerometers in the driver's radio systems for years...which gives some indication of what size a reasonable tri-axis accel would be.

I cannot see too clearly from the picture...but it looks like there coulD be an electrical connection (obviously) and two clear tubes coming off it. If so, the clear tubes would be feeding somehwhere on the wing to measure the pressure difference between a couple of areas.

However....why you would mount the sensor there rather than just run longer "air tubes" I do not know. So it might be an acclerometer...but they only had a big one handy!!!!

------Edit------

Looking at the "electrical cable"....it looks more like an RF co-ax type cable (i.e not standard 3 wire Power, Signal, Ground sort of cable). Therefore, as I think has been mentioned above. It could be measuring Vibration (high frequency vibration). Something Ferrari are probably fairly sensitive to these days. This would justify the size and positioning.

DRCorsa
DRCorsa

Besides the sensor. Is there a slot (look at the black arrow) following the mainplane's curve there or it's just me??