Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
volarchico
volarchico

Re: Ferrari F150

So it's already been mentioned once, but no replies: why are the rear wing endplates so thick? You can actually see they are aerodynamically shaped:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 1680_8.jpg

And from that same picture, any thoughts on the central support for the wing? It looks very thick.

Final question: any thoughts on what the piece is for that looks like it attaches the upper and lower rear-wing elements?

mtec80
mtec80

@ ajdavison2: therefore they already streched the car (from the pictures it seems that it has the same wheelbase as last year) so I don't think that this is the reason for this fat sidepods - I bet the RB7 is much more filigran and this is the key for a good aerodynamic package. This is what we see since two years (also 2009 the RB was the best aerodynamic concept but not the most reliable). Also the curent area behind the sidepods is not reaching the slim rear of the old RB6 (and please - there is no fuel tank or kers or whatever...)

donskar
donskar

Clean looking car. Derivative of last year and lots of other successful cars -- which is "de rigeur" in F1 design today. The F150 will be competitive and a representative Ferrari entry. Probably win a few races and will be close to the WDC and WCC at year's end.

I doubt if we will see ANYTHING truly ground-breaking in any car (except MAYBE Newey's Red Bull). The "state of the art" in F1 is not exactly thrilling. Rather than try to explain, I'll just refer you to the current issue of MotorSport magazine.

As to someone's complaint about Luca CdM's "win or die" attitude: F1 is very big business AND it racing successfully does mean a great deal to Ferrari -- more than just a business function. I think it is positive that the team feels pressure to excel. Who would want it otherwise?

To someone's complaint that LCdM is a politician. Yes, most definitely. And F1 is very political. If you want to swim with the sharks, you better have sharp teeth. Otherwise stay on the beach and complain. Like him or not, he is very good at what he does. Does ANYONE understand being PASSIONATE about something?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

747heavy

volarchico wrote:So it's already been mentioned once, but no replies: why are the rear wing endplates so thick? You can actually see they are aerodynamically shaped:

And from that same picture, any thoughts on the central support for the wing? It looks very thick.

Final question: any thoughts on what the piece is for that looks like it attaches the upper and lower rear-wing elements?

the new, for this season, moveable/adjustable rear wing flap, is perhaps the answer to some of your questions.
Somewhere the actuation system has to go, e.g. by running hydraulic lines inside the endplates etc.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

timbo
timbo

747heavy wrote:
volarchico wrote:So it's already been mentioned once, but no replies: why are the rear wing endplates so thick? You can actually see they are aerodynamically shaped:

the new, for this season, moveable/adjustable rear wing flap, is perhaps the answer to some of your questions.
Somewhere the actuation system has to go, e.g. by running hydraulic lines inside the endplates etc.
Endlates are also supporting the wing along with the single pillar.

Ferraripilot

I agree with being passionate about something, but there is a difference between passion and ruthless behavior. I don't see any other team bosses making public statements quite so brash. Every boss as their own way to get the best from their people, and for all we know Luca could be putting up a front for the media to gobble on.

mtec80
mtec80

Sorry, but you can be sure that Mercedes will have something with inactive f-duct and the mcLarens even cannot hold back that they have also revolutionary details and I am definitelly sure that RB will again come with a beast. Also renault said that they've userd an audacious design.

I'm realy afraid that this Ferrari is not inovative enough - I dont't hope so but the last years car was only close to championchip beacause of the foolnes in the RedBull team and the many crashes of Lewis Hamilton - I don't think that last years design bas a good base...
Last edited by mtec80 on 28 Jan 2011, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.

volarchico
volarchico

747heavy wrote: the new, for this season, moveable/adjustable rear wing flap, is perhaps the answer to some of your quastions.
Thanks...I figured it had something to do with that, but I was hoping for an explanation of why ALL that would be required to move the flap when the front flaps didn't require nearly as much. My gut feel is that something more involved is going on there...but I could easily be proved wrong! :?

raymondu999

Can anyone mesh together an F60 and this thing? The nose looks like it went back to the old F60 nose
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico
volarchico

I think I figured out the answer to one of my questions from staring at another picture. The F10 also would have looked like it had "thick endplates" because there is a gurney-type device horizontally across the top of the endplate:

http://www.f1-site.com/wallpapers/2010/ ... aper-1.jpg

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:Can anyone mesh together an F60 and this thing? The nose looks like it went back to the old F60 nose
Sure thing:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The endplates are also supporting the beam wing. Thus the pillar is carrying lots of load.

The endplates will probably also carry some part of the flap adjuster mechanism.

Although the pillar could also be used to carry part of the system (which would make a lot of sense in some ways).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

shamikaze
shamikaze

Wheren't aerodynamic rim's also banned now with cear specifications etc. Judging by the pics's the front-wheels still are the "trick-rims" Ferrari used to have last year.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Any ideas how many laps they did on the shakedown???