2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

214270 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:24
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:16
214270 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:12
ALO penalty incoming.

HAM was ahead, defo ALOs responsibility to provide the room
Mate, I'm a Hamilton fan and that is just not the case. Alonso was alongside and had every right to be there, pure desperation and idiocy from Lewis there.
Rules have been codified for overtaking, this isn’t me favouring one or the other. HAM was ahead at the apex, it’s a simple interpretation of the rules:

For overtaking outside of a corner

In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken and the overtaking manoeuvre must be done in a safe and controlled manner, while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track.

When considering what is a ‘significant portion’, for an overtaking on the outside of a corner, among the various factors that will be looked at by the stewards when exercising their discretion, the stewards will consider if the overtaking car is ahead of the other car from the apex of the corner. The car being overtaken must be capable of making the corner while remaining within the limits of the track.
Alonso did leave Hamilton sufficient room, he was right on the apex when Lewis turned into him. This rule is to prevent Alonso from squeezing Hamilton off the track on the outside.

This was 100% on Lewis, and he admitted as much.

DChemTech
DChemTech

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 21:55
Hamilton showing signs of 2011. Sees possibility to win and gets excited. That year he and Felipe Massa were like two magnets.
But i think he could have at least given Max some trouble today if Russel was used to upset redbull strategy.
Looking at the Alonso crash from the onboard..I dont think Alonso was fully innocent. But Lewis was mostly to blame for even thinking Alonso would have slowed down and let him through. Lewis did what Max did in silverstone. Only this time no penalty for Alonso.

Why were redbull so fast today though?
The cars just looked like they were running on ultrasoft magic tyres.
In Silverstone, Lewis had plenty of space on the inside. Here, Alonso had none. There was nowhere he could go, fair he wasn't penalized.

Cs98
Cs98

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:58
mendis wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 09:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 00:57

I'm a fan of the sport. The team doesn't matter to me as long as there is a proper fight.

The fight for this championship fizzled out five races ago. Just midfield squabbles and the frequent Ferrari cock ups are what's left of this cold dinner.
:lol: Not so long ago!
viewtopic.php?p=970174#p970174
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 03:53
I wish the Mercedes was faster. I want it to dominate again. Today i thought it would be a good step on the way, but I was disappointed. I couldnt really tell if it was truly faster. Max was too close. He was in front in fact and we couldn't overtake him after many attempts. Valterri was also too far back, so far there wasnt even a one-two finish. You know how long its been before Mercedes had a one-two?! Man i miss those days! I was glad that the strategy and the ability of HAM to make it work brought the win though. Max could have won if he didn't burn out his tyres in the opening laps.
viewtopic.php?p=970373#p970373
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 21:36
It's like Rosberg versus Schumacher or Ocon vs Alonso nothing too thrilling imo. Like an executive of the sport, Lewis deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top.
There is no inconsistency there.
:lol: :lol: This forum is gold sometimes. Just shameless denial.

Alexf1
Alexf1

From the-race: "Despite it comfortably leading both championships, this was actually the first time this season Red Bull has emphatically dominated a grand prix weekend."

https://the-race.com/formula-1/strange- ... -confused/

AMG.Tzan

Verstapen was on another planet this weekend and after the first 3-4 laps it was quite evident from the lack of Sainz and Perez's pace that he would easily win this one!

What bugs me the most is the lack of any competition to Verstapen! No one ever competed against Verstapen today...Perez was nowhere near Verstapen's pace and there was absolutely no part of the track where Red Bull actually lost to anyone!

The TD has done absolutely nothing to claw RB's pace back after all and eventually Ferrari seems more affected by it than RB! Mercedes's pace was unacceptable all weekend long and even they themselves cannot understand what's happening with their car! Going from pole in one race to 1.8s off in the next one even with updates is a bit of puzzle to solve...!

Max is going to brake the record for most wins in a season btw! I can't see him losing any races from now on...the car is on rails, he's at his peak and both Ferrari and Mercedes are screwing up in their own ways! Ferrari's strategies are awful and Mercedes's development doesn't show any signs of getting them to the front!

Anyway, a quite boring race today! It's a shame that Lewis has screwed or has been screwed up every time he's close to the front...Hungary could have been an easy win for him, Silverstone maybe! Today it could have been a nice battle with Sainz! Max would have won either way...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Sieper wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 20:43
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:50
Sieper wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:42
I think this is the first weekend, this year, that Max was totally dominant.

I think Ferrari took a little hit with the TD, they even instructed Sainz specifically to drive around some bumps (2 corners). Could be in fear of excessive plank wear. Could have been other trouble as well of course, but still.
I would class Imola as totally dominant aswell
Not as a weekend. He started the sprint only from P3. But from that moment onwards, yes. But this whole weekend no one could come close. Staggering.
I think you are confusing it with last year. He started the sprint from Pole, lost out at the start but then overtook Leclerc towards the end of the sprint

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 21:55
Hamilton showing signs of 2011. Sees possibility to win and gets excited. That year he and Felipe Massa were like two magnets.
But i think he could have at least given Max some trouble today if Russel was used to upset redbull strategy.
Looking at the Alonso crash from the onboard..I dont think Alonso was fully innocent. But Lewis was mostly to blame for even thinking Alonso would have slowed down and let him through. Lewis did what Max did in silverstone. Only this time no penalty for Alonso.

Why were redbull so fast today though?
The cars just looked like they were running on ultrasoft magic tyres.
Please elaborate on how he could have given Max some trouble? The guy didn’t break a sweat while pulling 1 sec a lap on the second fastest car on track, which was his own team mate. Absolutely no way to give that kind of machine and man trouble on a track like this, especially not when he has a 10 kph top speed advantage making him go past all cars like they were being lapped. Marko even said that Perez was ”taking it easy” today.

Sieper

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 22:45
Sieper wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 20:43
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:50

I would class Imola as totally dominant aswell
Not as a weekend. He started the sprint only from P3. But from that moment onwards, yes. But this whole weekend no one could come close. Staggering.
I think you are confusing it with last year. He started the sprint from Pole, lost out at the start but then overtook Leclerc towards the end of the sprint
Yep, you are right sorry. But at least the sprint race was “tight” there. This weekend was just a clean sweep. I even think Ferrari did not want to run that fresh set for Charles in Q3 just to give Charles tire equaty to Max for the main race. They sort of gave up on the qualy (was also 1 spot difference only ofc) but still. You could hear it also in Charles when he spoke.

wogx

Honestly? I don't understand their decision to pit Leclerc to go for the fastest lap, they must have quite a mess there. I feel sorry for Charles for the way they treat him there. I was hoping for an even fight this season, but Ferrari is spoiling their own races. Now I understand what it's like not to fight anyone for the World Championship, just like Lewis did for several seasons...

Moments earlier, I ripped the foil off my helmet and I hope it wasn't my foil that clogged the cooling channel in Charles' wheel
Max after the race in an interview for Dutch TV

Last edited by wogx on 29 Aug 2022, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

Looking at the lap times max was around 1.2-1.3seconds a lap quicker than both sainz and Russell

Only the last stint the gap was around 0.7seconds difference a lap, but imagine max was just cruising around with a bit lift and coast

PlatinumZealot

Max will have the most wins per season. There is no one to stop him. Literally no one to stop him. 9 wins so far and we have like what? 8 races left? 17 wins in one season is nuts!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 23:37
Max will have the most wins per season. There is no one to stop him. Literally no one to stop him. 9 wins so far and we have like what? 8 races left? 17 wins in one season is nuts!
I think Mercedes will win the next one, when the real update package comes.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:36
Penalty for Perez there. Didn't leave a car's width when he came back on line. But nothing will happen, of course.
I agree. And I don't think it's a team bias thing, just stupidity. I don't understand that. Why leclerc needs to crash for Perez to get the penalty?!

chrisc90

sosic2121 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 00:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:36
Penalty for Perez there. Didn't leave a car's width when he came back on line. But nothing will happen, of course.
I agree. And I don't think it's a team bias thing, just stupidity. I don't understand that. Why leclerc needs to crash for Perez to get the penalty?!
Where do you class a cars width in that scenario though? Do you ignore the kerb and use the white line, or do you allow the width of the kerb to allow a near cars width?

bluechris

napoleon1981 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 23:54
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 23:37
I think Mercedes will win the next one, when the real update package comes.
Epic Gold comment :)