2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
wesley123

Re: 2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

Edax wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:30
wesley123 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:11
Edax wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 01:56
So this is the quote.

Whatever your opinion on the incident is, this in no shape or form says “I crashed into Hamilton on purpose”.

So let’s not cut and edit this quote so that it does.
"and I immediately felt he was not going to leave space."

Here he says he was aware of what was going to happen.

"I just went for it"

And here he says he went for it. He attempted the overtake even though he knew it wasn't going to be possible. I don't see how you could call it anything other than intentional.

I sincerely hope you don’t work in a courthouse.

This is exactly what I mean. The quote says: I went for the overtake, had a bad feeling, but went for it anyway, shame, blame Hamilton”

Don’t cut it an dissect it till it says “I crashed ino him on purpose”
Please tell me how else you would describe it?

I can think of one other reason for this that isn’t malicious; incompetence. You really do need to be a special kind of stupid to think the move makes sense if you have just observed the gap closes.

So it’s either intentional, or incompetence. Or both, of course.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

langedweil

All in all pretty boring race, great 1st win for George although he shouldn't have started 3rd yesterday bc of the red, some really dumb moves, bad PR for Max, even worse pace by Checo ... did I miss anything ?
Ow yeah, and I'm with Brundle, RTLGermany and Italian media that Ham closed a door where whe shouldn't have; like someone said, a driver not a racer. What really is a gift though; he almost always gets out of these actions unscathed.

Anyway, 1 week and then finally a 4 month break ..
HuggaWugga !

Dee
Dee

wesley123 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 03:34
Edax wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 02:11

"and I immediately felt he was not going to leave space."

Here he says he was aware of what was going to happen.

"I just went for it"

And here he says he went for it. He attempted the overtake even though he knew it wasn't going to be possible. I don't see how you could call it anything other than intentional.

This is exactly what I mean. The quote says: I went for the overtake, had a bad feeling, but went for it anyway, shame, blame Hamilton”

I can think of one other reason for this that isn’t malicious; incompetence. You really do need to be a special kind of stupid to think the move makes sense if you have just observed the gap closes.

*You really do need to be a special kind of stupid to think the move makes sense if you have just observed the gap closes.*

That's not what Max said or what happened

There was space there, Max had a feeling that Lewis would close in on the space, he still went for it because as can be seen on the onboard, there was space. Lewis closed and contact happened.

You can argue about whether or not Lewis should have given space, but you can't argue that there was a gap and Max went for it, as any other driver would.

wesley123

Dee wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 03:49
wesley123 wrote:
Edax wrote:

*You really do need to be a special kind of stupid to think the move makes sense if you have just observed the gap closes.*

There was space there, Max had a feeling that Lewis would close in on the space, he still went for it because as can be seen on the onboard, there was space. Lewis closed and contact happened.

You can argue about whether or not Lewis should have given space, but you can't argue that there was a gap and Max went for it, as any other driver would.
Seems like a strange decision to go for a gap that he already has observed to be closing.

It’s like driving through a light that you observed to be red, yet still think it’s fine to pass it. And then blame the traffic light for being red when you get a ticket for running a red light.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Dee
Dee

wesley123 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 04:09
Dee wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Seems like a strange decision to go for a gap that he already has observed to be closing.

It’s like driving through a light that you observed to be red, yet still think it’s fine to pass it. And then blame the traffic light for being red when you get a ticket for running a red light.
When contact was made, Max was nearly fully alongside Hamilton. The space was there and you saying it wasn't makes no sense.

AR3-GP

Dee wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 04:25
wesley123 wrote:
Dee wrote:

When contact was made, Max was nearly fully alongside Hamilton. The space was there and you saying it wasn't makes no sense.
Unless you particularly enjoy arguing in circles, I suggest moving on. At some point you have to realize which people whose opinions you are never going to change :lol:

graham.reeds

Dee wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Dee wrote:

Because Hamilton braked for the bend? The impact was such that they both went off the track on the opposite side of the road.

Scorpaguy

...just to insert a few things here, things that could have altered this race:

1. The first safety car was far too long.

2. The second safety car was horrifically too long.

3. Re the second safety car, why the VSC for 2 laps, it seemed an easy call for an immediate FSC.

This race lost a lot of laps due to the above delays.

Gooch

Well, for the 2nd safety car that was probably the worst spot on the track to stop, there’s really no marshall posts nearby. To expedite the SC they actually didn’t even remove the car from the track, really. Rather than pull it to the marshall post, they just parked it behind the 2 palm trees on the inside of T10. It was like the old days of F1, when they would just leave the broken cars on the side of the track, again.

Dee
Dee

graham.reeds wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 04:39
Dee wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Because Hamilton braked for the bend? The impact was such that they both went off the track on the opposite side of the road.
Hamilton braked for the bend like another driver wasn't there. Off course the both went off track because of it.

mendis

A lesson in how to respectfully race at Turn 1/2 in Brazil. Despite Kimi was never ahead of Schumacher, he got enough room to make Turn 2.

mendis

I am happy that Danny Ric's dumb move on KMag, which was a repeat of his move on Yuki in Mexico, got him here. In previous race, he destroyed Yuki's race and went unscathed even with a 10 second penalty. It's sad to see him having regressed so badly in his racing skills. He was always a dive bomber, but got away fighting with good drivers at the front, but the midfield isn't that forgiving.

sosic2121

Gooch wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:11
Tvetovnato wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:03
Max: “To be honest, I went around the outside, and I immediately felt he was not going to leave space. I just went for it, he didn’t leave me space, so I knew we were going to get together.”

This alone should send him to the back of the grid for the next race. He is literally open with ruining another drivers race for the sake of it. What. A. Child.
I find it funny that right after this he suggested it was still a 'net win' for him because Hamilton lost the race and he only got a 5 second penalty. He did see Merc was still 1-2 on the podium, no? Even if they both wrecked it was a net win for Mercedes because it would allow Russell to cruise to victory.

The fact that he still went for it when he knew the gap was gonna close tells you this was purely a matter of ego for Verstappen.
Are you implying that Hamilton didn't know they will crash if he turns in while there is another car on the apex?
Must be a new situation for him. Something that never happened before.

Vanja #66

mendis wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 06:22
A lesson in how to respectfully race at Turn 1/2 in Brazil. Despite Kimi was never ahead of Schumacher, he got enough room to make Turn 2.

Great stuff, very respectful even if Schumi pushed Kimi a bit wide in T1. I'm sad I forgot about this move :(
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzso

MadMax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:11
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:07
MadMax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:02

Max admitted that he just drove there knowing that there would be no room.

The stewards stated, quite correctly, that Max hadn't got the move done in T1 and therefore was in no position to expect to take in T2. They said that Hamilton could have given a little more room but that the collision was predominantly Max's fault.
Fair summation imho
Brundle doubled down on blaming Lewis even after Max given the penalty. Made me laugh. And people accuse all of Sky of being pro-Hamilton. :lol:
Yeah, laugh at the person who is right...