Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hush

Re: Ferrari F2012

alogoc wrote:"In Maranello confirmed the cause: several pieces of 'material progress' yielded to the pressure and the flow was diverted improperly"

can anyone try to explain what would this mean,i know it's not HEAT related what it is then?
Could be a number of things.

Bad fabrication
Incorrect calculations
Chassis flex

Gridlock

alogoc wrote:'material progress'
'advanced materials' is better translation

bonjon1979

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Progressive cut outs on F2012. Interesting.

via Khan_F1
Despite it burning the exhaust in image 1 is illegal. The pipe must be visible in plan view which it clearly isn't. Quite strange that Ferrari totally ignored that rule as it would never have been allowed.

shelly

In picture 2 in the aboe post the floor material seem to be usual carbon weave. The resin and the fiber could be whatever, of course.

rumors about advance materials are intereting, but at the moment I do nto have clear ideas about where those materials are applied.

As scarbs and others suggested, maybe it is the floor which is manufactured with something new, maybe in order to cope with the direct impingement of exhausts from above, like in tis image I found o internet:

twitter: @armchair_aero

Richard

bonjon1979 wrote:the exhaust in image 1 is illegal. The pipe must be visible in plan view which it clearly isn't.
That's not correct. The defined cone from the exhaust exit must be visible, so that only requires the pipe to be flush, you don't need to see the pipe.

Also, the view doesn't have to be on plan. The cone only needs to be visible from one place, and that is allowed to be anywhere from a plan view to a side view.

Ferraripilot

Is anyone else of the opinion that Ferrari hampered their technical department as of mid 2011 when things went awry with Costa? It seems as if at that moment they decided to make a 180 degree change in their current design paradigm and design the F2012. Now they have built this car, but it seems like a half-thought plan. I find my self wondering now if F150 were further evolved what they would have come up with.

Regardless, I believe we will find out of Mclaren, Ferrari, and probably MB's exhaust ideas were the way to go or if Red Bull's simple method is shown to be the way. Ferrari's plan strikes me as the most odd for sure. I'd love to see what it proved in the wind tunnel.....

I see the shape of the Ferrari sidepods of course moves downward to the back end, but is the purpose to attempt a redirect of the exhaust gases? I don't see how it's possible considering their velocity.

bonjon1979

richard_leeds wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:the exhaust in image 1 is illegal. The pipe must be visible in plan view which it clearly isn't.
That's not correct. The defined cone from the exhaust exit must be visible, so that only requires the pipe to be flush, you don't need to see the pipe.

Also, the view doesn't have to be on plan. The cone only needs to be visible from one place, and that is allowed to be anywhere from a plan view to a side view.
You're right. My mistake!

Richard

bonjon1979 wrote:You're right. My mistake!
Actually it probably was illegal but not on the ground you stated. It seems the pipe is recessed, so the start of the cone isn't visible.

Maynard G. Krebs

Ferraripilot wrote:Is anyone else of the opinion that Ferrari hampered their technical department as of mid 2011 when things went awry with Costa? It seems as if at that moment they decided to make a 180 degree change in their current design paradigm and design the F2012. Now they have built this car, but it seems like a half-thought plan. I find my self wondering now if F150 were further evolved what they would have come up with.

Regardless, I believe we will find out of Mclaren, Ferrari, and probably MB's exhaust ideas were the way to go or if Red Bull's simple method is shown to be the way. Ferrari's plan strikes me as the most odd for sure. I'd love to see what it proved in the wind tunnel.....

I see the shape of the Ferrari sidepods of course moves downward to the back end, but is the purpose to attempt a redirect of the exhaust gases? I don't see how it's possible considering their velocity.
"Fernando Alonso says he has already seen positive signs from the new F2012 that it is able to generate heat into its tyres more quickly than was the case with its predecessor – a key aim for the team this year."

Maybe they are blowing the hot exhaust onto the tires to warm them up!
Just kidding.
Sort of.

Robbobnob

i am expecting to see Ferrari evaluate a Red Bull style exhaust configuration at Barcelona.

The current layout is impeding flow around the side, by bringing the exhaust flow into the middle, the faster flow should help suck more air around the side and over the top.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

isomax89

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Is anyone else of the opinion that Ferrari hampered their technical department as of mid 2011 when things went awry with Costa? It seems as if at that moment they decided to make a 180 degree change in their current design paradigm and design the F2012. Now they have built this car, but it seems like a half-thought plan. I find my self wondering now if F150 were further evolved what they would have come up with.

"Fernando Alonso says he has already seen positive signs from the new F2012 that it is able to generate heat into its tyres more quickly than was the case with its predecessor – a key aim for the team this year."

Just kidding.
Sort of.
This is my first post, hi evryone :D
I'm sorry form my English but i'm italian :)

I don't think the exhoust are blowing for heating the tires because gas exhaust are too hot (700C) for this.
More this is not their appropriate use, simply i think that they want generate more downforce like the other teams

If they don't have the problem to bring in temperature the tyres maybe, it is for the pull rod suspension.

Redragon

spanish press says that the fastest time of Friday was made with some petrol in it

http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/ferrar ... imot_3/Tes

Crucial_Xtreme

isomax89 wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:

Just kidding.
Sort of.
This is my first post, hi evryone :D
I'm sorry form my English but i'm italian :)

I don't think the exhoust are blowing for heating the tires because gas exhaust are too hot (700C) for this.
More this is not their appropriate use, simply i think that they want generate more downforce like the other teams

If they don't have the problem to bring in temperature the tyres maybe, it is for the pull rod suspension.
Welcome to the forums. When testing first started in Jerez, Ferrari were blowing the exhaust gasses at the rear brake ducts. They also tried blowing the exhaust in a few other places, so I expect to see more of the same in BCN as they search for the best setup.
Fernando said the F2012 warmed the tyres on the first lap so it doesn't look like this years car will have the same problem. :)

Hail22

Even more positive is the fact how cold the track temp was when he made this observation.

Which would mean for example Melbourne, Spa, Monaco we shall see more positive lap times, pending development etc.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Testarossa2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Lot's of weird stuff went on Friday in session 4. Alonso didn't run for hours as they fixed things and added new parts. Then the car went out for just a couple laps and that was it, Jerez was done.

You can see from the picture below the exhaust has been moved/angled differently from it's previous position. There is also the black cover over most of the bottom of the rear wing that wasn't there at any other point during testing. Also, the big one for me is there is something between the rear wing endplate & the tyre at the floor. But I don't know what and I've only seen two pictures with this configuration.

Here is another picture with the black cover that hasn't been seen anywhere expect on the last few minutes of testing day 4. Also note how little rake the car is running compared to the previous running that day and the 3 days before it. Still not sure what the black cover is. And you can't see from this angle the other side of the car where there is something between the wing & tyre.

I took the second picture in Jerez last Friday. If you want see more amazing pictures of the F2012 visit my blog:

http://formula12012testjerez.blogspot.c ... rrari.html

Feel free of leave comments you like. Thanks. :P