Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Ferrari F2012

All rights and ownership to testarossa for this image.

Is it me or is does that floor have scoops diverting air flow under the floor?

And holy jesus look at the front splitter, it moves based on air flow/movement.

Splitter Bending/flexing.

Static/straight.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Robbobnob

that splitter is exactly the same as what was on the RB7

as for the front wing cascade supports what you are seeing is just a consequence of the angle of the photos. The supports actually attach to the middle element on the wing and not on the bottom element like you would expect

EDIT*

seems its not exactly the same as the RB7, but you can clearly see where the idea came from

"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

imightbewrong

Robbobnob wrote:that splitter is exactly the same as what was on the RB7

as for the front wing cascade supports what you are seeing is just a consequence of the angle of the photos. The supports actually attach to the middle element on the wing and not on the bottom element like you would expect

EDIT*

seems its not exactly the same as the RB7, but you can clearly see where the idea came from
IIRC it was Renault that started with that particular type of splitter. Just goes to show how much everyone copies each other in F1, but now days everything seems to be attributed to RBR if they have it on their car.

bhall

imightbewrong wrote:IIRC it was Renault that started with that particular type of splitter.
It's also not quite new. Ferrari has had this since at least 2010.

n_anirudh

bonjon1979 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Progressive cut outs on F2012. Interesting.

via Khan_F1
Despite it burning the exhaust in image 1 is illegal. The pipe must be visible in plan view which it clearly isn't. Quite strange that Ferrari totally ignored that rule as it would never have been allowed.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... 9/fia.html
5.8 Exhaust systems :
5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through exhaust joints (either into or out of the system), no fluids, other than those which emerge from the engine exhaust ports, may be admitted into the engine exhaust system.
5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits, both of which must be rearward facing tailpipes, through which all exhaust gases must pass.
5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above
the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Be located between 250mm and 600mm above the reference plane.
c) Be located between 200mm and 500mm from the car centre line.
d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie 500mm and 1200mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.

b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any
bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
yes Image 1 is illegal...but why the cut outs in the exhaust in pic 2 and 3...is that illegal..I have pasted the rules above..and hilighted the bits which seems confusing...Can someone please clarify?
Cheers

Hail22

Funny how some people think its illegal when the person in charge of race direction Charlie Whiting returned to the FIA and reported that all exhausts are "legal"

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=140423

So much for him following the principle of the regulations, its all about who has the deepest wallet...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

n_anirudh

Hail22 wrote:Funny how some people think its illegal when the person in charge of race direction Charlie Whiting returned to the FIA and reported that all exhausts are "legal"

So much for him following the principle of the regulations, its all about who has the deepest wallet...
PS: if you referred to my post, I wanted a clarification and posted bits which I think was not according to the rules. It was not about CW's opinion

Richard

Hail22 wrote:Funny how some people think its illegal when the person in charge of race direction Charlie Whiting returned to the FIA and reported that all exhausts are "legal"

While it would appear that some of the Ferrari experimental configurations conjoured up by a mechanic with a hacksaw are illegal, most notably due to the lack of a square end, you don't know what configurations were shown to Charlie Whiting do you? The launch configuration appeared to be legal, that might have been the version shown to Whiting for all we know.

The cars don't need to be legal to in testing, they could go out with quad exhausts if they like.

Get some facts and then make your accusations. At the moment, no one has broken any rules because this is only testing of experimental parts.

Hail22

Never said anyone broke the rules, however i will state that the FIA and FIFA are similar, over powered and no one controls them.

Will be interesting to see what floor Ferrari will be running.

Also i'm a Ferrari enthusiast rather then a fan which means if they "conceive" a plan that may be illegal I'm not going to shy away from the facts.

Gilles Villeneuve

isomax89

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Welcome to the forums. When testing first started in Jerez, Ferrari were blowing the exhaust gasses at the rear brake ducts. They also tried blowing the exhaust in a few other places, so I expect to see more of the same in BCN as they search for the best setup.
Fernando said the F2012 warmed the tyres on the first lap so it doesn't look like this years car will have the same problem. :)
Sorry BCN what means?
I hope they will haven't the same problem because this is critical for a competitive car.
Today down-force (aerodynamic) and tyres are the most important aspect in F1.

raymondu999

BCN = Barcelona
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

n_anirudh

of course the cars need not be legal in testing, but what interest me is both Ferrari and Mclaren adopted the half-cut in the exhaust tailpipes, which is a cut in 2 dimensions. What advantage would they gain by this?

Hail22

n_anirudh wrote:of course the cars need not be legal in testing, but what interest me is both Ferrari and Mclaren adopted the half-cut in the exhaust tailpipes, which is a cut in 2 dimensions. What advantage would they gain by this?
For now we can only assume what it may be, 6 days until the launch cars from Jerez are replaced with 2012 WDC Grid cars.

Quite a lot will change from jerez especially Mercedes, Ferrari and Mclaren.

Gilles Villeneuve

F12
F12

Do you know anything about Ferrari moving the exhaust position towards the inside?

Blackout

bhallg2k wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:IIRC it was Renault that started with that particular type of splitter.
It's also not quite new. Ferrari has had this since at least 2010.
Sauber invented it in 2009 (first used in Barcelona IIRC) Renault used It for the first time in Sepang 2010 then Ferrari and Red Bull copied it (in China and Barcelone respectively IIRC).