Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

Interestingly the "Official Ferrari Magazine" suggests the F2012 has a Venturi tube in the step nose that directs air flow to the floor.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/formul ... Ferrari%3F

MARANELLO, 15 February – Ferrari has revealed in an article published in his Magazine that the nose of the step, which characterizes the new F2012, and most of which compete in F1 next season, has been studied to create a Venturi tube. «With fashion, sometimes made compulsory by the circumstances, as in the case of snow at Maranello, to present the car via the internet, the mystery on performance potential is still denser ", we read on the website of the House of Maranello, which published the Magazine. «Not to mention pre-season tests: the auto run with tricks of petrol due to load and unload, ailerons and other small are temporary, so as not to make people realize their true potential, fueling speculations and hopes. There is also who does the cunning, as it had been for Brown in 2009, arrived at the last moment as a Cinderella, just to keep hidden the famous trick of the double diffuser that went on to win the world title. This year will certainly funny: the step nose seems to have become the only real theme, but in reality, with substantially identical engines and strong constraints on the development of the car, the car will be all powerful. And there begins the beautiful: who or what will make that small difference which means win? The F2012 has searched. Between now and March 18 to try to understand if this strange muzzle which also has a Venturi Tube to function by direct air into the underbody, there will also become likeable. Indeed, very nice "reads in the article horse.

INCREASED speed – The idea suggested by Ferrari is the snout force air into a kind of virtual pipe that aims to increase the speed of the flow. The Venturi tube is a system used to accelerate the flow of a fluid, as can be the high-speed air, pushing him into a conical tube. In this narrowing the fluid is forced to increase its velocity reducing pressure and producing a partial vacuum, which for a Formula One means to stick it to the ground and increase adherence. This is the true secret weapon of red, in response to the speakers blown used last year from Red Bull and banned this year? We'll see in the next test, scheduled for next Tuesday.
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 16 Feb 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

alogoc

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

alogoc

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Myself & others have noticed the flow going up the sidepods towards the exhaust exit. This does not look good. There doesn't seem to be a build up/stagnation behind the exhaust either.

the wing seems to flex on the first picture
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Hush

Not a chance there is a venturi in that nose. Where is the air collected? I think the author is referring to the front wing pylons which get narrower as they go rearward which creates a venturi effect by speeding up the air flow under the nose and channels it to the underbody.

scuderiafan

Hush wrote:
Not a chance there is a venturi in that nose. Where is the air collected? I think the author is referring to the front wing pylons which get narrower as they go rearward which creates a venturi effect by speeding up the air flow under the nose and channels it to the underbody.
I think what the article meant was that Ferrari has a nose that has a hole where the step is, and it exits somewhere in front of the cockpit, similar to their 2008 nose.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Hush

scuderiafan wrote:
Hush wrote:
I think what the article meant was that Ferrari has a nose that has a hole where the step is, and it exits somewhere in front of the cockpit, similar to their 2008 nose.
If it is going to exit on top then it can't be channeling air to the underbody as the article suggests.

The only way this is going to work is if they open up the area on the step and accelerate the air via their venturi system where it exits underneath the car. Only problem I see is that there are no slots allowed on the floor any longer after DDD being banned. Or is there still scope for this somewhere forward. It will no doubt be interesting to see how this plays out because if it exists and works it will be difficult to copy and will take some fine tuning as well.

Could this be linked to the Byrne floor?

Pablo_Dublin

Article doesn't suggest F2012 has Venturi tube or any hole in nose, only that it has an "odd-looking nose with its Venturi-like role of channelling area to the underbody". i.e. stepped nose dictated by regulations and design philosophy of channelling as much air as possible under nose.

Air intake comment is in reference to RB8.

MIKEY_!

Google translate must be broken. What does Cinderella have to do with this car? :lol:

Hail22

Remember 90% of the cars we have seen Jerez will change in some way at Barcelona, the Venturi tube may be run at Melbourne hence why they are referring to "poker face" in the article.

Seem like Ferrari will be doing the good ole cover the car deal to get the attention of Red Bull, Mclaren and Mercedes.

They will all employ this form of propoganda.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

imightbewrong

I think the venturi tube they are referring to is the space under the nose. The big pillars to the FW form a nozzle.

Coefficient

alogoc wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Myself & others have noticed the flow going up the sidepods towards the exhaust exit. This does not look good. There doesn't seem to be a build up/stagnation behind the exhaust either.

the wing seems to flex on the first picture

The little pipe on top of the rear crash structure seems absent in the top picture. Maybe they found it troublesome?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Froggolo

MIKEY_! wrote:Google translate must be broken. What does Cinderella have to do with this car? :lol:

wonder what you don't get in that sentence,
beside being translated, is quite clear, ...or probably you don't know Cinderella fairy tale:)
simply means that Brawn in 2009 presented the car at the last moment,
as Cinderella in the tale arrived at the castle at the last moment
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

FrukostScones

imightbewrong wrote:I think the venturi tube they are referring to is the space under the nose. The big pillars to the FW form a nozzle.
+1
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Hush

imightbewrong wrote:I think the venturi tube they are referring to is the space under the nose. The big pillars to the FW form a nozzle.
This is what I think too.

bhall

Can a team concurrently homologate two different chassis designs?