Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Canda 2013 - Friday (07.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SectorOne

Did i hear wrong in FP1 BBC coverage where Red Bull now sprays the car with flow-wiz while the car is out on track?
Probably just dreamt this up but i think they mentioned something similar and they discussed if other teams would start doing it as well.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_

Canada 2013 - Saturday (08.06.2013)

Nice details on the front wing.
Last edited by stefan_ on 08 Jun 2013, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sevach

FW, nose, floor, rear brake ducts(?) very extensive modifications.

Those little fins/blades on the FW main plane look cool.

Robbobnob

I find these very interesting! Aero guys, whats the consensus?

Vortex generators to excite the airflow through the slots and keep the flow attached on the upper element?
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

techF1LES

henra

Robbobnob wrote: Vortex generators to excite the airflow through the slots and keep the flow attached on the upper element?
Edit: Wild A**Guess removed since it didn't survive a secoond, closer look. :oops:

Edit: Having looked closer at the angle I think you can scrap my last idea.
It looks like they are diverging from the middle section towards the outer section. And they are as high asthe gap and diectly in front of the vertical elements on the underside of the FW. So they could indeed be vortex generators to prevent flow detachment on the underside of the second element.
And since they seem to be diverging somewhat they will slow down the air immediately in front of the gap also reducing probability of detachment.
Last edited by henra on 09 Jun 2013, 12:37, edited 2 times in total.

Huntresa

Arent all those small new vortex generators exactly where the large ones are on the underside and could therefor be there to help airflow to them from the top side?

SectorOne

Will there even be enough distance for a vortex to be generated considering the diffuser-like strakes on the underside starts almost immediately after them?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

shelly

@henra: the flow angle in that zone of the front wing is much more oblique that one would think - see this picture as an example (and that is a very old wing, much less loaded):

So the vg have a moderate angle of attack compared to the flow, just enough to work correctly

Also the details at the rear (before the rear wheel and in the diffuser strakes) look a new generation compared to the previous ones
twitter: @armchair_aero

aral

shelly wrote:@henra: the flow angle in that zone of the front wing is much more oblique that one would think - see this picture as an example (and that is a very old wing, much less loaded):
http://www.gcdata.gr/c3/688_47a5581028f ... c51b03.jpg

So the vg have a moderate angle of attack compared to the flow, just enough to work correctly

Also the details at the rear (before the rear wheel and in the diffuser strakes) look a new generation compared to the previous ones
Not sure what that picture is designed to represent, or where it comes from, but...wouldn't the flow TO the wing be pretty constant over the full width of the wing, rather than be concentrated on small part of the wing? For instance, the flow over the central part of the main plane, would be diverted sideways by the underbody deflectors, so influencing the entire process.

flyboy2160

gilgen wrote: ...wouldn't the flow TO the wing be pretty constant over the full width of the wing, rather than be concentrated on small part of the wing? ...
When you show a CFD solution, you can select which streamlines you want to show. If you show all of them, the picture can be very confusing.

The result above is only showing some of the stream lines even though the solution is for the entire flow field..

henra

shelly wrote:@henra: the flow angle in that zone of the front wing is much more oblique that one would think - see this picture as an example (and that is a very old wing, much less loaded):
http://www.gcdata.gr/c3/688_47a5581028f ... c51b03.jpg

Interesting!
Thanks for the CFD printout. What surprises me is the split of the airflow in front of the tyres. I wouldn't have expected so much air to be displaced to the outside. WRT to the main plane of the FW flow is almost symmetrical to the in- and outside. The angles of RB's VG's seem to mtach actually quite well to the angle of the streamlines in your model.

stefan_

Canada 2013 - Sunday (09.06.2013)