Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CLKGTR

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

dren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 12:44
Still running the cooling exit by the driver. The rear wing is the flat version.
I think they might stick to that vertical sinusoidal cooling opening behind the halo because it allows them to run tighter bodywork at the rear, which is more critial for aero performance.

Rear wing really does look like it has flat mainplane, but on picture bellow it looks raised in the centre, like used in Melbourne.

ScrewCaptain27

Disassembled brake cooling ducts (AMuS):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

Mercedes comparing different rearwing specs in FP1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Vanja #66

Low drag wing also has bigger DRS flap and no G-flap (yet?), unlike Ferrari's.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

DiogoBrand

CLKGTR wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 13:16
dren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 12:44
Still running the cooling exit by the driver. The rear wing is the flat version.
I think they might stick to that vertical sinusoidal cooling opening behind the halo because it allows them to run tighter bodywork at the rear, which is more critial for aero performance.

Rear wing really does look like it has flat mainplane, but on picture bellow it looks raised in the centre, like used in Melbourne.

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 157986.jpg
It's amazing how compact everything is. Even the inside components are really streamlined.

DiogoBrand

Fulcrum wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 06:40
Maybe this should be in the team thread.

Tommy Hilfiger sponsors the Mercedes F1 team, but not Williams. Considering Lawrence Stroll's relationship with TH, is this some kind of quid pro quo for Lance and/or Williams?
It should.

Thunder

DiogoBrand wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 07:01
It should.
And it has been moved there. :)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

zibby43

Another shot of the "spoon" rear wing, via Albert Fabrega:

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 7152726016[/media]

Morteza

Vortex generators for the rear wing
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sierra117

Need we say more for how poor the Mercedes is performing? Ferrari sure improved leaps and bounds, but one would think the Merc is actually getting worse lel.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

ScrewCaptain27

Sierra117 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 09:05
Need we say more for how poor the Mercedes is performing? Ferrari sure improved leaps and bounds, but one would think the Merc is actually getting worse lel.
Could be that the car is simply maxed out and there is no more performance to be found from this concept.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

MtthsMlw

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:07
Sierra117 wrote:
Could be that the car is simply maxed out and there is no more performance to be found from this concept.
I think it makes the most sense what ferrari has done, high rake and long wheelbase. This concept has the most room for improvement since you're combining the best of both worlds. Btw this is the wrong thread for this.

Sierra117

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:07
Sierra117 wrote:
But this is the concept Ferrari adopted to find so many of their gains; e.g. They lengthened the car. Maybe the oblique front suspension Merc introduced isn't so good as we saw front tyre grip being lost throughout the sessions today :/

Still, disappointing if the engine has seen no real improvement compared to Ferrari. The running thought is tyres hampering PU power but it could just be clear cut that it's not as powerful. Half a second gap is seriously worrying.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Vanja #66

MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:19
I think it makes the most sense what ferrari has done, high rake and long wheelbase.
Those two are important, but not the determining factor. Merc will, I am 100% sure, raise their rear end more and more throughout this year and will gain performance while doing it. Even with that, they won't be able to get the same amount of air to the rear end as Ferrari or Red Bull because of their (I think we can already say it) outdated side pod concept.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sierra117

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 11:02
MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:19
I think it makes the most sense what ferrari has done, high rake and long wheelbase.
Those two are important, but not the determining factor. Merc will, I am 100% sure, raise their rear end more and more throughout this year and will gain performance while doing it. Even with that, they won't be able to get the same amount of air to the rear end as Ferrari or Red Bull because of their (I think we can already say it) outdated side pod concept.
Is there a post you could link where one could read about how the different sidepod implementations work? Sidepods is the one area I need to learn more about.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir