2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Manjhi

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

Vasconia wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:19
epo wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:36

Saints was not faster then Hulkenberg, and yes you obviously because of Saints don't like Verstappen (who crushed him at STR) so keep your nonsense to yourself please.
Sorry but he was increasing the gap until Hulk made a mistake, so yes he was being faster at that point of the race. Its kinda boring to read again the Verstappen-Sainz stuff, what an obsession seriously
You certainly didn't followed the race. Hulk had gearbox penalty and he started 14th while Sainz started 9th and still Hulk has right behind him after passing the Redbulls.

I think Baku was not the race where we could compare two drivers, but the previous 3 races does show that Hulk is currently driving better than Sainz, period.

TNTHead

Sevach wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:56
Fulcrum wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:29
Sevach wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 16:11
On Verstappen vs Ricciardo i don't think Verstappen moved enough to call it moving in the braking zone or double weaving, from the front his line is pretty straight.

I might go Ricciardo's fault on that one.
Probably pent up frustration for:
  • Letting him get by at the start.
  • Multiple attempts to pass that almost worked, but ultimately failed.
  • Actually passing, but after 35 laps of trying.
  • Then getting passed from an overcut.
Judging from their reactions immediately after the race, I think they both know neither were without fault on this one. Whether that's their own perspective, or the team line, we'll wait and see.
No doubt things kept escalating and made him desperate to get by before Verstappen's tires got up to temperature.
I'd like to add another though i didn't find yet in the reactions so far: it was an enjoyable fight between RIC and VER ending in nightmare. The team should have known that pitting the leading car first would imply a succesful overcut by the car behind (because of the lower tire temperatures in the first lap), reviving the fight between RIC and VER which was sort of ended after RIC's overtake before pitting (assuming RIC had a bit more race pace than VER). So it could even be a strategic failure of the team

sosic2121

nokivasara wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:26
Tubas wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:16
From https://www.formule1.nl/nieuws/verstapp ... -red-bull/ using trusty translate...

As a 'punishment' Verstappen and Ricciardo must travel to the Red Bull factory in Milton Keynes for the Grand Prix of Spain to offer their apologies. The Dutchman and Australia threw a fourth and fifth place with their clash at the Baku City Circuit, much to the displeasure of team boss Christian Horner. "We discuss these kinds of things behind closed doors, but the boys eventually drive for the team and realize that they have ruined it today," he says Sky Sports F1.

"They have to apologize to the team - to every member of the team - because this is a team sport; what they have clearly forgotten. "According to Horner, Verstappen and Ricciardo, who had fiercely fought each other in the Grand Prix of Azerbaijan, had already been told a few times by their engineers to slow down. "I do not want to blame anyone. They are both guilty, and it is the team that is the victim of it. "
How long before RIC announces he is going to another team? :wink:
I hope he'll replace Kimi =D>

Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:07
Let's look at how Lady Luck has done until now:

- Australia: Vettel won, but should have been 2nd
- Bahrain: Vettel won square and fair with an unbelievable job
- China: Hamilton should have finished behind Vettel, but ended the race way up instead
- Baku: Hamilton should have finished 3rd at best, but won and at the same time Vettel should have won, but finished 4th

Luck wise, Hamilton has definitely turned things around and is leading against his main rival in that matter.

Regarding today's race, Redbull will have much to discuss in debrief again. They raced each other rather than the leading cars.
On top of that incident Grosjean mixed up everything even more with his silly move.
Did you forget that Hamilton needed a gearbox after just 1 race?

JonoNic

sosic2121 wrote:
nokivasara wrote:
Tubas wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:16
From https://www.formule1.nl/nieuws/verstapp ... -red-bull/ using trusty translate...

As a 'punishment' Verstappen and Ricciardo must travel to the Red Bull factory in Milton Keynes for the Grand Prix of Spain to offer their apologies. The Dutchman and Australia threw a fourth and fifth place with their clash at the Baku City Circuit, much to the displeasure of team boss Christian Horner. "We discuss these kinds of things behind closed doors, but the boys eventually drive for the team and realize that they have ruined it today," he says Sky Sports F1.

"They have to apologize to the team - to every member of the team - because this is a team sport; what they have clearly forgotten. "According to Horner, Verstappen and Ricciardo, who had fiercely fought each other in the Grand Prix of Azerbaijan, had already been told a few times by their engineers to slow down. "I do not want to blame anyone. They are both guilty, and it is the team that is the victim of it. "
Last year's Kimi or this year's Kimi? Ric will make an excellent Ferrari driver though
Always find the gap then use it.

Phil

Manjhi wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:28
Vasconia wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:19
epo wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:36

Saints was not faster then Hulkenberg, and yes you obviously because of Saints don't like Verstappen (who crushed him at STR) so keep your nonsense to yourself please.
Sorry but he was increasing the gap until Hulk made a mistake, so yes he was being faster at that point of the race. Its kinda boring to read again the Verstappen-Sainz stuff, what an obsession seriously
You certainly didn't followed the race. Hulk had gearbox penalty and he started 14th while Sainz started 9th and still Hulk has right behind him after passing the Redbulls.

I think Baku was not the race where we could compare two drivers, but the previous 3 races does show that Hulk is currently driving better than Sainz, period.
Agreed. Very unfortunate result for Hulkenberg this weekend, but overall, he has been better than Sainz and beating him at every other race, including qualifying. Very impressed by Hulkenberg, because I think Sainz is very good.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

siskue2005

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:37
LM10 wrote:

- China: Hamilton should have finished behind Vettel, but ended the race way up instead
- Baku: Hamilton should have finished 3rd at best, but won and at the same time Vettel should have won, but finished 4th

Luck wise, Hamilton has definitely turned things around and is leading against his main rival in that matter.

Regarding today's race, Redbull will have much to discuss in debrief again. They raced each other rather than the leading cars.
On top of that incident Grosjean mixed up everything even more with his silly move.
Do you think he posted that to be fair to everyone?? :lol:

Restomaniac

siskue2005 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:18
LM10 wrote:

Vettel was running 3rd when he lucked to 1st during Safety car in Australia.
China Hamilton was running 4th and finished 4th, he didnt get any favour there.
Baku Lewis third??? he was in 2nd place...Bottas got lucky to jump them both during SC.

All in all the luck swings both ways..., there are 17 more races and we will see what happens.
Hamilton got a gearbox penalty in Bahrain too.

Restomaniac

siskue2005 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:40
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:37
LM10 wrote:

Do you think he posted that to be fair to everyone?? :lol:
I couldn't possibly say. :wink:

Shrieker

Toro Rosso guys: "That was so close man ! Almost..."

Red Bull guys : " Hold my beer !!"

:)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

sosic2121

JonoNic wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:38
sosic2121 wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

Last year's Kimi or this year's Kimi? Ric will make an excellent Ferrari driver though
Yes, he is much much faster then he used to be. But he is still not(any more) a WDC material. With Dan, Ferrari would have 2 "proper" drivers.
Yes, there would probably be some Hamilton-Rosberg moments, but what's the point in having a driver that can't overtake!?

Restomaniac

Vettel165 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:42
It doesnt matter right now, the race is done, what ifs doesnt matter. Now I will have to wait again for that 14 painful days. Even thought Ferrari will be on pole it doesnt matter, because the SC will come and destroy our race like in China and here.
Mate please calm down. It's only the 4th race of the season and nothing is won or lost yet.

bonjon1979

I see a lot of people calling it a lucky safety car for bottas but wasn't it actually just genius strategy? Statistically they knew if they could stay out then there might be a safety car that allows them to get ahead. They had 3rd place sewn up so chanced their arm and bottas did an incredible job making the super sorts last 39 laps. It was great race management. Shame for bottas that he lost his tyre. Crazy by Vettel to risk so much like he did at the restart, if bottas had turned in he would've collected him.

bonjon1979

The two moves from max, we've seen this from his first race, he doesn't it subtly but he always goes one way and then back the other.

Restomaniac

jjn9128 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:17
No penalty for Ricciardo or Verstappen
In a statement issued by the stewards, they noted that Verstappen had made two moves to defend his position – but they added that Ricciardo had also played his part in what happened by braking so late.

"Both drivers contributed to the collision," said the statement. "The driver of car 33 [Verstappen] made two moves, both of which were relatively minor.

"The driver of car 3 [Ricciardo] admitted he left his move to overtake on the left, too late.

"It was obvious to the stewards that although the incident had its origins in the moves by car 33, the driver of car 3 also contributed to the incident.

"Both drivers expressed regret about their respective contributions to the incident, during the Stewards' hearing."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... h-1031835/
So once again Verstappen gets away with it. It's going to keep happening until he gets his wings clipped. I love the guy and can see the talent but he is far too reckless at times.