2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Roman

Re: 2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

An interesting race!

First congratulations to LH, a well deserved WDC!

But lets talk about the race. I found it incredible that HULK on P6 got lapped twice (and was in the same lap as MAG in P15). Shows us again that F1 has turned out to be F1A and F1B with drivers who dont drive for Merc, Fer or RB without any realisic chance for a podium in a normal race, let alone wins. And from my point of view its only getting worse and not better...

Then, we saw that Vet is still able to overtake people on track without touching and spinning! It was nice to see him back on track now that the pressure is gone.

And finally, for some unknown reason the tire problems on Merc are suddenly back. Would have been better for the neutral fans if the had encountered them again earlier this season so we could have had a WDC fight till the last race.

NathanOlder

Roman wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 10:15

Then, we saw that Vet is still able to overtake people on track without touching and spinning!

He still made contact with Bottas on lap 1. 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marvin78

I think he meant "touching and spinning" as one thing ;)

But we could discuss this touch over 60 sites in this thread. What would the traffic of this forums look like without that? ;)

Big Tea

So, is it easier to win a championship with more races on the calender ? or harder?
I think harder.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

search

Roman wrote:
An interesting race!

First congratulations to LH, a well deserved WDC!

But lets talk about the race. I found it incredible that HULK on P6 got lapped twice (and was in the same lap as MAG in P15). Shows us again that F1 has turned out to be F1A and F1B with drivers who dont drive for Merc, Fer or RB without any realisic chance for a podium in a normal race, let alone wins. And from my point of view its only getting worse and not better...
to be fair, this time it was also down to the ridiculously slow pace in the midfield, somehow trying to get through with one stop only. At some points, others (in free air) were running ~3 seconds a lap quicker, but as it was almost impossible to get past other cars in a DRS train, it still made more sense to keep running slowly instead of pitting for new tires again.

Unc1eM0nty

Roman wrote:
I hate this too, if one of the top tier cars starts at the back of the grid, or has early spin, they still manage to grab 6th, 7th or 8th.

Lapping cars can then effect the result of the race, Ricardo lost his position the Vettel due to catching back markers at the wrong time & place, In the end it didn't matter but I feel for the guy man, what does he need to do to catch a break.

The gap to the top 3 teams is just way way too wide, I can only see two ways out of this, budget cap, or mandate more bodywork & parts to reduce the opportunity for the teams with all the money $$$$$$$$

NathanOlder

marvin78 wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 10:49
I think he meant "touching and spinning" as one thing ;)
You are probably right, but then he refers to Vettel being back on track, so back on track is bumping people without spinning :roll:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

saviour stivala

The question that should be decided on first is,who really made the contact?.

WaikeCU

Hammerfist wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 08:28
ringo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 03:16
Looks like a man who will retire at the end of this season...

It was reported that he was using Redbull team as a comfort blanket. It seems now the Mercedes team is his pacifier.
All in all his behavior is much better this year than last. Very sportsmanlike.
He doesn't seem like he wants to dwell on the defeat with his own team, and much rather the season end and move on to 2019. I think he will be a different driver next year if he stays.

As for the fangio hamilton comparison, Hamilton is ahead statistically so he deserves to be higher on the lists. Lists don't say much about how legendary or revered a driver is. Senna is still revered and has only 3 wdc like many other drivers. Nelshino Piquet should be considered great as well given his success, but people don't seem to respect the guy.

I saw the old hater Jackie Stewart in one scene with a glass of champagne in his hand. I could see bitter glare in his eyes as he looked on. Did Sky get to interview him? I would pretty much like to hear what he had to say on all this 5 time WDC stuff. its been entertaining seeing his comments from WDC #1 to 4 so far.
:D I noticed him too and I agree about that glare in his eyes. I wonder if he still thinks Lewis is a "little ballerina." Lewis has just left him and his 3 titles behind. Take that Jackie.
First of all congrats to Lewis on his 5th! Fully deserved!

Sir Jackie, would probably say something like:

"If Lewis drove like this back in the days, he wouldn't be a World Champion, he would be dead instead."

Sieper

glare in eyes.

How does one make its eyes glare?

Come on, you have no sympathy for the man, or you expect he will be nasty, sure, all possible, but how do you spot glare in eyes?

LM10

ringo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 03:16
Looks like a man who will retire at the end of this season...
I don't think so. He just congratulated, it was a nice act. I can remember Alonso did the same in 2014 I think when he approached Mercedes hospitality and congratulated them.

Vettel will not leave on his own. Not before having won a title. It's his childhood dream and I don't think that he will give up. He already told that he believes the team will learn from mistakes this season and there still is big potential.

search

was there a VSC for every on track retirement yesterday, by the way?! That must be a new record...

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 12:26
glare in eyes.

How does one make its eyes glare?

Come on, you have no sympathy for the man, or you expect he will be nasty, sure, all possible, but how do you spot glare in eyes?
His concern is probably more for his wife than Hamilton
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

WaikeCU

I don't think Merc really struggled. I think they were managing a potential problem, a potential (double) DNF.

If you told me that the team decided to turn down the engine performance of the car to make it till the end, I would honestly believe they did. I think they did without the drivers knowing.

langwadt

WaikeCU wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 14:22
I don't think Merc really struggled. I think they were managing a potential problem, a potential (double) DNF.

If you told me that the team decided to turn down the engine performance of the car to make it till the end, I would honestly believe they did. I think they did without the drivers knowing.
the only pit to car communication is voice radio so the teams can't change anything, they can only ask the driver to change something