2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Can´t understand how Vettel got picked as the driver of the day, it surely must be Lewizita Hamiltin :lol:

Feel very gutted for Bottas, nobody deserves this despicable treatment. But I knew Mercedes would screw Valteri to gift the "GOAT" a position.

Really hope RB and Max become champions, if for anything, for not resorting to the kind of antics Mercedes does.

PlatinumZealot

max_speed wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:09
this is what we needed. Now pressure will be ham and merc. bottas can spoil the party. mercedes had too much luck but looks like racing gods do need some fun in lockdown era. if perez picks it up a bit and bottas irritates lewis a bit then In many years for first time Toto and lewis will feel what real pressure feels like.
Game on :)
I take heart in knowing that Bottas can take the mantle when lewis is down and out. Definitley not in a good mood after todays race but i sorta feel good thay Bottas can trouble max in the races
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

max_speed

proteus wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:11
max_speed wrote:
this is what we needed. Now pressure will be ham and merc. bottas can spoil the party. mercedes had too much luck but looks like racing gods do need some fun in lockdown era. if perez picks it up a bit and bottas irritates lewis a bit then In many years for first time Toto and lewis will feel what real pressure feels like.
Bottas is getting so much misfortune, it is not even funny anymore. Even when he manages to keep himself competitive, something breaks or his team screws him over...
That team works for Lewis & Lewis only so i am not surprised when bottas is in front Merc manages to come up with strategy to screw him up and sometime bad luck strikes as well. this is best time for Bottas to take revenge before he leaves mercedes. rub it where it hurts most.

MtthsMlw

proteus

dans79 wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:10
Something to remember, is that Lewis finished 7th in Monaco 2017 as well and we all know how that season ended!
Who is actually expecting him not taking the title this year? As i see it, majority of tracks are in Mercedes favour in the rest of the season, so i give Max a 5% chance, even if he drives his ass of. Merc is still ahead of RedBull.Only unforseen consequences can change that.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

El Scorchio

proteus wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:51
Well that was as dull a F1 race as we have seen for some time. Even Brundle called it as such and he's usually effusive about Monaco being special.

Well done to Max taking the maximum advantage presented to him. Well done to Sainz giving the tifosi something to cheer about after the disappointment of Charles not starting. Brilliant by Norris to get a podium in the McLaren. Perez did his team proud after starting 9th on the grid. Aston Martin did a great job leap frogging Seb ahead of Gasly and Hamilton. Gasly did a solid job today. Hamilton had one of his rare off days, sweetened only a tiny bit by getting the fastest lap and a new lap record.
Well, to me all the overtakes on 1 mile straights are boring as well. Even if no particular overtaking took place today, atleast Monaco enabled more interesting development in overall standings and actually punishing Lewis for his bad performance yesterday, and putting Max back into the fight.
You’re quite right that an overtake should require some work, but it does seem nigh on impossible at Monaco now and it felt like no one could even get within DRS of anyone else for more than a lap or so at best. I hope the 2022 cars allow for a bit more action here.

Spacepace

max_speed wrote:
Hamilton has definitely experienced pressure in his career. Ridiculous comment

RZS10

adrianjordan wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:45
NathanOlder wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:43
Left hand DRIVE SHAFT?!?! why didn't they just change that as standard? can't they change damaged parts providing its not gearbox or PU.
Does make you wonder.
It's silly isn't it? They could have changed it 1:1 but it wasn't on the list of changed parts. It may still come out that it was the gearbox afterall but if not then it was a massive f'up by Ferrari. At least the WDC/WCC is a bit spicier with Max winning - gotta see the positives, even if this might have been Ferrari's only shot at a win this season.

proteus

MtthsMlw wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:14
https://i.imgur.com/Jae21Ca.png
Thats a well seized wheel nut over here. I am a bit surprised there is no torque limit for the wheel gun matching the core strenght of the wheel nut. They literally machined the nut into a door knob ornament.

ispano6

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:35
ispano6 wrote:
23 May 2021, 05:17
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
How about a rule banning people from demanding knee jerk rule changes because they think their favourite driver was disadvantaged? :wink:
OH you mean enforcing track limits mid race and a new wing test?
Last edited by ispano6 on 23 May 2021, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

RZS10 wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:16
adrianjordan wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:45
NathanOlder wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:43
Left hand DRIVE SHAFT?!?! why didn't they just change that as standard? can't they change damaged parts providing its not gearbox or PU.
Does make you wonder.
It's silly isn't it? They could have changed it 1:1 but it wasn't on the list of changed parts. It may still come out that it was the gearbox afterall but if not then it was a massive f'up by Ferrari. At least the WDC/WCC is a bit spicier with Max winning - gotta see the positives, even if this might have been Ferrari's only shot at a win this season.
Might have something to do with the budget cap perhaps?

WaikeCU

I like how people are pointing at Merc for screwing over Bottas' race. As if the team decided "well let's not change that front right tire and call it a day." :lol:

But when Lewis is having a difficult afternoon, it's not the car, but only he has to look at himself and not allowed to point at the team.

There's so many info we don't know behind the scenes on what went wrong for Merc this weekend, but I'm sure there's a lot of things that didn't go right. I mean do we honestly believe that the Merc in the hands of Lewis is really that slow? I'd say it's just the nature of the track that doesn't suit the car atm.

pantherxxx

Perfect race from Verstappen and Vettel. Lack of performance from Lewis.

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:14
proteus wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:51
Well that was as dull a F1 race as we have seen for some time. Even Brundle called it as such and he's usually effusive about Monaco being special.

Well done to Max taking the maximum advantage presented to him. Well done to Sainz giving the tifosi something to cheer about after the disappointment of Charles not starting. Brilliant by Norris to get a podium in the McLaren. Perez did his team proud after starting 9th on the grid. Aston Martin did a great job leap frogging Seb ahead of Gasly and Hamilton. Gasly did a solid job today. Hamilton had one of his rare off days, sweetened only a tiny bit by getting the fastest lap and a new lap record.
Well, to me all the overtakes on 1 mile straights are boring as well. Even if no particular overtaking took place today, atleast Monaco enabled more interesting development in overall standings and actually punishing Lewis for his bad performance yesterday, and putting Max back into the fight.
You’re quite right that an overtake should require some work, but it does seem nigh on impossible at Monaco now and it felt like no one could even get within DRS of anyone else for more than a lap or so at best. I hope the 2022 cars allow for a bit more action here.
I think 2022 will be just as bad. Even if you can follow closely, you need a multi a second a lap pace advantage to get past in Monaco, unless the driver in front make a mistake.
197 104 103 7

Unf

Is there anything more lovely than crying radio messages from Hamilton? Definitely not!
And Bottas... problems on Mercedes always on the right side of the garage :D