2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

Sieper wrote:
03 May 2018, 19:05

Disagree, Magnussen said he had sever vibrations and couldn´t see anything on his mirrors. If you look at his onboard it´s easy to see how his left mirror lost rigidity and is shaking, and also we can see he does not make any weird wheel movement, he´s on the normal racing line, so even when I initially agreed with Gasly about Magnussen move being one of the most dangerous in recent seasons, after reading his argumentation and watching his onboard I really think it was involuntary, very dangerous, but not on purpose
I always have a hard time believing that, especially when the move is on just the right time to hinder the opponent. For me the alleviating factor is as said that from Magnussen car it looks still OK to do. On motorsport.com this was also being discussed and apparently on the high def images you can clearly see Gasly in the mirror (and see Magnussen look).
Yes, but look at the cars in front (from Kevin´s onboard), Magnussen is following their line with no corrections at all, exactly same line wich means he didn´t close any door, he was just on the normal racing line

If that´s true then that´s the confirmation Magnussen couldn´t see anything, the camera is around half meter higher than Kevin so if we can see Gasly from the camera, Magnussen was only seeing the sky and clouds :wink:

But I don´t belive that for a moment

BTW, Magnussen watching the mirror does not mean he saw Gasly, it´s also plausible he couldn´t see anything but since he knew Gasly was around there he was trying to locate him

Anycase, do you really think a mirror wich is shaking like that is any useful?
Last edited by Andres125sx on 03 May 2018, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Wynters

Andres125sx wrote:
03 May 2018, 18:51
Disagree, Magnussen said he had sever vibrations and couldn´t see anything on his mirrors. If you look at his onboard it´s easy to see how his left mirror lost rigidity and is shaking, and also we can see he does not make any weird wheel movement, he´s on the normal racing line, so even when I initially agreed with Gasly about Magnussen move being one of the most dangerous in recent seasons, after reading his argumentation and watching his onboard I really think it was involuntary, very dangerous, but not on purpose
If you are blazing down walled-in streets at 300kph and can't see if you are about to put people into the wall because your car is too damaged then, sadly, you need to stop your car.

Andres125sx

Wynters wrote:
03 May 2018, 20:28
Andres125sx wrote:
If you are blazing down walled-in streets at 300kph and can't see if you are about to put people into the wall because your car is too damaged then, sadly, you need to stop your car.
Sure, any F1 driver will retire if one of his mirrors is damaged :lol: :lol: :lol:

digitalrurouni

Perhaps we need F1 cars with displays instead of mirror sort of like the WEC cars. But a different implementation cause obviously limitations of cockpit space but instead of mirrors 2 displays might be handy. I mean the vibration would be there but perhaps visual clarity would be a bit better. And an arrow would show up in the display which should be obvious and more eye catching despite the vibration that hey something is about to come up your left side so you end up paying more attention to your left flank. Dunno. Spitballing here.

henry

Andres125sx wrote:
03 May 2018, 19:02
Jolle wrote:
01 May 2018, 23:13
NathanOlder wrote:
01 May 2018, 22:51

joking right ? haters gotta hate. You are sooooo wrong.

half the field would have 4 titles if they drove the cars Alonso had :lol: (this IS a joke, but its at the same level as your joke)
then the same would apply for anybody who drove for McLaren during the 80is, like Lauda, Prost, Senna.... or Williams in the 90ies, Ferrari in the 2000's....

One of things that makes a good driver into a great driver, is being in the right car at the right time.
Oh my god, there´s a long time since I read something I disagree as strongly as this.

There are a load of great drivers who never drove the right car, Giles Villeneuve is just an example, while there are others who drove the right car at the right time, but will never be considered one of the greats, Jenson Button or Nico Rosberg comes to mind.

Driving the right car at the right time is a matter of luck, nothing more and nothing less, no driver can know what will be a great car and what will not before the season starts, and contracts are signed way before the season starts. If you talk with any top team before the season starts, I´m sure all of them will provide convicing arguments about how competitive they will be, all of them are top teams but at the same time none of them knows what´s in the oven of the other top teams
We all pick and choose the things we put down to luck. I agree with you about the luck of being in the right car. Next year we might see whether the luck of being small in stature has had any bearing on achievements in F1. It may, or may not, shed a different light on Jenson Button. And while I’m at it, is it a coincidence that since Nico Rosberg left Mercedes have struggled with set up?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

NathanOlder

henry wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:53
And while I’m at it, is it a coincidence that since Nico Rosberg left Mercedes have struggled with set up?
Very good point, you can also say ,

is it a coincidence that since the new regulations came in to effect, Mercedes have struggled with set up.

very good point though, I hadn't thought of that.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

Andres125sx wrote:
03 May 2018, 20:33
Wynters wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Sure, any F1 driver will retire if one of his mirrors is damaged :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Haas cars have had (this season so far) many parts simply come off due to air pressure, vibration. This is something that the FIA should order them to correct imho as it can indeed be dangerous (any loose piece of carbon on track can end any drivers race at any time (Bottas was just a victim of bad luck). Wiggly mirrors should also be strengthened.

Allthough you do make valid points Andres, I still think the Magnussen move was there, but perhaps also Gasly shouldn't have tried it there, just wait until the end of the straight and use the tow and then the bonus DRS to blast past. Gasly is also a driver (like most (all?) drivers on the grid) who truly believes to be at the very top of the class, maybe also he has still some learning to do about risk vs reward.

Vasconia

Manjhi wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:28
Vasconia wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:19
epo wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:36

Saints was not faster then Hulkenberg, and yes you obviously because of Saints don't like Verstappen (who crushed him at STR) so keep your nonsense to yourself please.
Sorry but he was increasing the gap until Hulk made a mistake, so yes he was being faster at that point of the race. Its kinda boring to read again the Verstappen-Sainz stuff, what an obsession seriously
You certainly didn't followed the race. Hulk had gearbox penalty and he started 14th while Sainz started 9th and still Hulk has right behind him after passing the Redbulls.

I think Baku was not the race where we could compare two drivers, but the previous 3 races does show that Hulk is currently driving better than Sainz, period.
I did follow it, I was refering after they overtook 1/2 cars(I can´t recall which ones were right now) so I compared their paces in clean air, it was the first time this season I saw Sainz being faster. Sadly it didnt last too much because of Hulk´s little mistake.

I do agree that Hulkenberg has had a better performance so far, Sainz itself admits that he needs to improve around 5/10% his performance. Last year he adapted himself more easily to the car than this year, I guess its a matter of time that he will improve. The competence between both drives will be one of the highlights of this season for sure. =D>

maxxer

Phil wrote:
03 May 2018, 17:38
You guys are crazy. In what way is Coulthard bad? He's an ex F1 driver, has loads of experience, is very insightful. You should try watching some of the German broadcasts where none of that is existent. I guarantee, you'd shoot yourself before the first commercial hits (yes, there are commercials during the broadcasts).
Yes and in the 1st safety car period my rtl didnt go to commercials , just 2 laps after the restart they suddenly went i think

Sieper

I agree with Phil, Coulthard is a real class act imho, a true gentleman (although according to Robert Doornbos he can actually be a devil when playing around :-) )

Phil

I don't know, I just love the CH4 trio. Even Eddie, for asking the questions others don't. Reminds me a bit of TopGear/TGT of Clarkson, May and Hammond. Everyone is different, but has a part to play. Coulthard on his own might not work, but in combination with all the others, it makes for a great entertaining and informative broadcast. No doubt, the Sky broadcast is just as good and goes beyond that with extended technical analysis and a more in-depth coverage, but I am just really comparing it to other available free broadcasts like RTL (Germany), ORF (Austria), SRF (Switzerland) etc.

IMO, it's a crime that BBC/CH4 gave up it's live coverage. By sticking the best coverage behind the pay-wall, you are limiting it to the fans that already know they want to pay-to-watch, but are eliminating the coverage from people who might be or just don't know it. And apart from the CH4 broadcast, all others are just so dry (especially the german ones) that it makes it hard to attract the mainstream viewers into the sport that would occasionally be interested in watching.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

Thumbs up Phil, totally agree (again).

It is a hard question, the pay wall is there, it is part of the earn model, maybe they could give more away for free on YouTube so that we (I pay to view) but I mean we interested viewers, can see what is on offer.

Wynters

Andres125sx wrote:
You are right, of course and there are plenty of examples to back you up. But that's where the FIA have to step in. If an F1 team is quite willing to to run without a major mandatory safety feature then they need to be black flagged. Hamilton's headrest is a nothing issue compared to not being able to see cars that are level or behind you.

Andres125sx

Sieper wrote:
04 May 2018, 11:47
Andres125sx wrote:
Wynters wrote:
The Haas cars have had (this season so far) many parts simply come off due to air pressure, vibration. This is something that the FIA should order them to correct imho as it can indeed be dangerous (any loose piece of carbon on track can end any drivers race at any time (Bottas was just a victim of bad luck). Wiggly mirrors should also be strengthened.

Allthough you do make valid points Andres, I still think the Magnussen move was there, but perhaps also Gasly shouldn't have tried it there, just wait until the end of the straight and use the tow and then the bonus DRS to blast past. Gasly is also a driver (like most (all?) drivers on the grid) who truly believes to be at the very top of the class, maybe also he has still some learning to do about risk vs reward.
Didn´t notice if Haas have had parts coming off frequently, but if that´s the case then yes, I agree FIA should order them to reinforce the car.

I don´t think Gasly should have waited, he had a dramatic speed difference and did the normal thing, trying to pass when he could. He can´t know if Magnussen is aware of him or not, I think it was a racing incident caused by a damaged car (uselss mirror)

Andres125sx

Wynters wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:00
Andres125sx wrote:
You are right, of course and there are plenty of examples to back you up. But that's where the FIA have to step in. If an F1 team is quite willing to to run without a major mandatory safety feature then they need to be black flagged. Hamilton's headrest is a nothing issue compared to not being able to see cars that are level or behind you.
Agree on that, but I can´t see FIA black-flagging anyone for a shaking mirror. They didn´t in the past for a missing mirror, but maybe they should