2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 09:14
sosic2121 wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:46
Andres125sx wrote:
31 May 2018, 16:37

Not my case. Actually I´ve never understood Tilke critics. To me China, Malaysia, or specially Austin, are great tracks. Austin is one of my favourites right now with Suzuka and Spa :D
I like Bahrain and Malesiya.
But Sochi, Abu Dhabi, Mexico S3, Hockenheim and A1(compared to original circuits)? Huge run off areas?
What´s the problem with huge run-off areas?

Cars are faster each season, so they need bigger run-off areas. I don´t see what´s the point of keeping same size so cars crash with a barrier when out of control. I´m against full tarmac run-off areas because then they can use them for purposes wich are not the purpose of a run-off area (I´d add 2m wide grass just after the track, so if they go wide they´ll spin, or at least loose the line significantly, ie mistakes brings penalties), but the size only add safety, wich is good
I expressed myself wrong. I agree with you 100%.

With tarmac run offs there is no penalty for mistakes. IMO it gives ability to inferior drivers to drive at 100%(and above), and it harder for best drivers to shine.

Dazed1

Dazed1 wrote:
26 May 2018, 22:44
NathanOlder wrote:
26 May 2018, 17:19
Yeah, and max is going to be trying to pass them
What are the odds Max will finish the race? I am thinking 1 in 4.
I was wrong, Max performed very well on a difficult circuit to finish ninth. I am impressed and hopeful he will be "carefully aggressive" in the future. ;)

NathanOlder

Very true, just out of interest who did he actually pass ?

The 2 Haas cars at the run to T1. Ericsson in to Mirabeau and Sainz in to the Nouvelle Chicane.

I think a lot of people look and assume he went from 20th to 9th so he must have had an amazing race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

sosic2121 wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 09:53
Andres125sx wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:46

I like Bahrain and Malesiya.
But Sochi, Abu Dhabi, Mexico S3, Hockenheim and A1(compared to original circuits)? Huge run off areas?

Cars are faster each season, so they need bigger run-off areas. I don´t see what´s the point of keeping same size so cars crash with a barrier when out of control. I´m against full tarmac run-off areas because then they can use them for purposes wich are not the purpose of a run-off area (I´d add 2m wide grass just after the track, so if they go wide they´ll spin, or at least loose the line significantly, ie mistakes brings penalties), but the size only add safety, wich is good

With tarmac run offs there is no penalty for mistakes. IMO it gives ability to inferior drivers to drive at 100%(and above), and it harder for best drivers to shine.
If you increase the risk drivers will take less risk, even the front runners. So less exciting racing, less action and more "progressions". One of the main reasons why Vettel didn't even try to put any pressure on RIC, the risk (in Monaco) was too high.

The safer a driver feels, how smaller the penalty for a failed attempt, the more aggressive he will be on track.

sosic2121

Jolle wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 23:13
sosic2121 wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 09:53
Andres125sx wrote:

If you increase the risk drivers will take less risk, even the front runners. So less exciting racing, less action and more "progressions". One of the main reasons why Vettel didn't even try to put any pressure on RIC, the risk (in Monaco) was too high.

The safer a driver feels, how smaller the penalty for a failed attempt, the more aggressive he will be on track.
And again, superior drivers will differentiate themselves better from inferiors.

IMO any discussion about overtakes at Monaco are pointless. I understand your point but I don't agree with you. Not because you are wrong(you are not wrong), but because I have different view on overall situation.

siskue2005

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 23:10
Very true, just out of interest who did he actually pass ?

The 2 Haas cars at the run to T1. Ericsson in to Mirabeau and Sainz in to the Nouvelle Chicane.

I think a lot of people look and assume he went from 20th to 9th so he must have had an amazing race.
Exactly I remember few others finishing much higher in Monaco even with pitlane start... example Schumy 2006 pitlane to just behind 3rd place.