2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

Edax wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 22:42
Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:22

7 degrees? That would be visible by eye - a simple look at it would be obvious there was an error. Do you have a source for that.
Certainly, in Dutch though;

https://www.gpfans.com/nl/artikelen/592 ... adliner.nl

One side was off by 7 degrees, the other not. I did see (but can’t remember when it was) the broadcast show the Verstappen pit box and a bunch of engineers scratching their heads and holding measuring tools of some sort.
I remember seeing that. It was before Q3. They were with 4 guys working on the left flap for 5 minutes or so. I was thinking why not change the nose?
They did not have a like for like nose left? Or maybe changing out the complete nose is not allowed?

They have an upgrade to the cape this weekend, see the RB16 thread for details if interested.
Likely they had just one ready. Neither Alex nor Max had nose damage this weekend so likely just the one new nose ready.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 14:48
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 14:37
El Scorchio wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 14:36

He said from that first corner with the Renaults. I haven’t seen a replay so i don’t know if he touched anyone.
I didn’t look like he did to me.
Apparently they had another coming together later on the first lap and that was where it was damaged.
Of course they did. It just so happened that the cameras never caught it. :wtf:

Edit- Scratch that I’ve just seen it so it’s Bottas’ fault then .He was awful today and front wing damage doesn’t excuse his driving when his team mate wins by a clear 20 Seconds over everyone plenty of who had spins and offs themselves.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 15 Nov 2020, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Diesel wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 22:17
Also, I noticed this in qualifying and wondered if it it would get raised. Masi strikes again!

https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/15/vet ... -on-track/
I noticed too and was seriously baffled too. Why in gods name did they start the session as an entire sector had double waved yellows and a crane on track?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dtro
dtro

Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:53
Diesel wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:47
Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:13

That I now have to be the one to defend Bottas, but perhaps at that stage his missing DF, as a consequence badly worn right front tire and his out of alignment steering left him no other choice but taking that turn in that way. I’m not a fan but he is not that bad, that I can’t believe.
... the out of alignment steering that was self inflicted from his dive bomb on Ocon on lap 1.
Yes true. But once the self inflicted issue is there there is not much you can do anymore. We can slate him for that, it is fair, i agree, but also feels a bit like double jeopardy.
If a boxer keeps taking the jab that leads to his knockout it's not double jeopardy, it's them dropping their guard.

Shrieker

Diesel wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 22:17
Also, I noticed this in qualifying and wondered if it it would get raised. Masi strikes again!

https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/15/vet ... -on-track/
Yeah I mentioned it yesterday. This is inexcusable.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sieper

They let the time crunch get to them.

A problem as we are racing mid November in Europe. Unique.

It should not happen again though. I think Vettel was right to comment and I think he would be a perfect candidate to take Grosjean seat as the GP Driver association chairman. If that must be an active driver. Otherwise Grosjean can keep on doing that just fine (if he likes to do that).
Last edited by Sieper on 15 Nov 2020, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

The FOM Director picked up on it, they showed cars leaving the pitlane, then cut to the crane still on the outside of Turn 8. Masi should be sacked on the spot for this surely ? Jules lost his life, Charlie was doing what seemed a good job. Now we have seemed to have learned nothing other than 'For the Show' #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Scorpaguy

I enjoyed the race...as it was at least something different. As for Ham...is he the GOAT or just the greatest of the current era??? Bottas, Bottas, Bottas :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: I have defended him in the past, but his recurrent "days behind" finishes are getting old (maybe Perez should get that seat). Bot is a good qualifier, but seems he is getting more and more Albonish (or is Albon becoming more Bottish). I wish Rosberg would have stayed to provide a better measure. At any rate, Ham has done things no other driver has done. Bot, in the same car...not so much...embarrassing really (unless Ham is the GOAT).

Sieper

Ham is the GOAT and Bottas is not that good. Not as bad as he was today (although once you loose track position today you were toast anyway) but nowhere near Hamilton. People here don’t need to big him up, it doesn’t detract from Hamilton’s shine to be honoust about Bottas. Hamilton is proving time and time again on his own merit what his worth is.

Racer X

It's going to be sad when we don't see Perez on the field. Because he's a very stable driver and it's good to use him for a reference for other driver's to be put up against.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Mogster

Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 23:28

It should not happen again though. I think Vettel was right to comment and I think he would be a perfect candidate to take Grosjean seat as the GP Driver association chairman. If that must be an active driver. Otherwise Grosjean can keep on doing that just fine (if he likes to do that).
I thought Seb was already a GPDA drivers rep, along with Grosjean. Alex Wurz is chairman currently.

Shrieker

Would be criminal if Perez gets left without a drive, no doubt about that.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sieper

Mogster wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 00:21
Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 23:28

I thought Seb was already a GPDA drivers rep, along with Grosjean. Alex Wurz is chairman currently.
Ah, makes sense. They both are natural at it and able to step over any team politics if needed.

Zynerji

grubschumi13 wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:30
Feel sorry for Stroll, he was amazing in the opening stages really opening the gap and streaking ahead. Wonder how his race would have turned out had he not pitted for the new set of Inters.
Used inters might have been 200IQ in retrospect... Maybe they wouldn't have grained.

Shrieker

Zynerji wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 00:37
grubschumi13 wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:30
Feel sorry for Stroll, he was amazing in the opening stages really opening the gap and streaking ahead. Wonder how his race would have turned out had he not pitted for the new set of Inters.
Used inters might have been 200IQ in retrospect... Maybe they wouldn't have grained.
Seems that way. But bear in mind; Perez who is probably much better at keeping tires together than him had trouble on the last lap. So in a way, Stroll was in the same boat as Hamilton @China 2007; leaned on his first set of inters too much when they were new, and destroyed any chance of making them last (taking them to the end in this case).
-Atatürk